[Lnc-business] secretarial items still outstanding

Dianna Visek dianna.visek at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 21:28:18 EST 2014

Hi David,

Since we're two weeks away from our next meeting, I thought I would provide
you with a list of secretarial items that still need attention.  I
hope you can add them to your report.

I see that the approved March 2013 LNC minutes from Chicago and also the
5/28/13 EC minutes have recently been posted to the website.  Thank you for
making some progress.  Below is the list I have of secretarial duties still
to be completed.

*Backlog still remaining from Ruth Bennett:*

Correct and obtain approval for the post-convention LNC meeting
minutesfrom 5/6/12 and replace the draft ones on the website.

During the July 2013 LNC meeting in Las Vegas, the EC approved a number of
EC minutes, but I am not sure which ones.  These were apparently circulated
to the EC email list in advance so they could review them, but the LNC has
never seen the final versions and they are not yet posted to the website.
Since we do not yet have draft minutes from the July LNC meeting, I cannot
be sure which EC minutes were approved this way, but I believe they could
possibly include those from the following dates:

   - 5/31/12
   - 6/3/12
   - 6/6/12
   - 7/2/12
   - 8/2/12 (the website version is an unapproved draft)
   - 8/17/12 (the website version is an unapproved draft)

Obtain approval for the 7/15/12 LNC meeting minutes and replace the draft
ones on the website which are erroneously marked as approved.

Obtain approval for the 11/17/12 LNC meeting minutes and post on the
website.

*Since Ruth's Resignation*

The policy manual on the website is dated 7/3/13.  You sent a more recent
version out on 8/22/13, but the website has not been updated to reflect
this new version yet.

The policy manual version you sent on 8/22/13 contained the 7 new policies
we adopted by mail ballot in August based on the Audit Committee's
recommendations.  At this point I don't recall if we adopted any other
policy changes during the July LNC meeting.  Once we get the draft
minutesfrom that meeting, we can review to see if there were any other
policy
changes that need to be updated in the policy manual.

As with the grouping mentioned in the above section, I believe that during
the July 2013 LNC meeting, the EC may have approved the 5/1/13 EC minutes,
but the LNC has not seen the final version, and they are not posted on the
website.  These were not auto-approved because the Chair objected to a
portion of them, and I am not sure how the EC resolved that question.

Though it is possible I have overlooked something in my email, I do not
believe we have received first drafts of the following:

   - July 2013 LNC meeting in Las Vegas
   - 8/19/13 EC meeting minutes
   - 10/12/13 EC meeting minutes

On previous lists like this, I have indicated that the LNC never saw the
draft of the 10/29/13 EC meeting minutes.  But I have been informed that a
draft was written, and it appears you only emailed it to the EC and not to
the full LNC.  The policy for auto-approval of minutes requires that the
draft be sent to the full LNC.  I see that this set of minutes is now
posted to the website, but they could not have been auto-approved by our
policy if they were never sent to the full LNC.  Are there any other sets
of minutes I've listed as missing that have actually been sent to the EC
but not to the LNC?  The EC acts in the name of the LNC with our delegated
power.  Not only does our policy say that draft EC minutes are to be sent
to the full LNC, but sending them only to the EC deprives those LNC members
who couldn't attend the teleconference from seeing what the EC has done in
our name.

There was an email ballot to approve the Dec 15-16, 2013 LNC minutes from
Dallas.  That ballot ended on 1/24/14, but I don't believe results have
been sent out yet.  Based on the votes I saw, I believe this motion passed,
but the approved minutes are not posted on the website.

I don't believe the LNC has seen a first draft of the EC meeting minutes
from 12/19/13 regarding setting target revenues for staff bonuses and
discussing how to use the funds gathered to reimburse for the cancelled
Dallas meeting.

I don't believe the LNC has seen a first draft of the EC minutes from
2/6/14 regarding Alabama ballot access and an update on the building
acquisition.

The first draft of the 2/13/14 EC minutes regarding ballot access policy
and a review of loan offers for the building purchase will be due to the
LNC on 2/20/14.

The LNC has policies about when and to whom the first drafts of minutes are
to be provided.  Additionally, the bylaws require that approved
minutesmust be "promptly" posted to the website.  I don't believe
these standards
are being met, and though I have sent quite a few lists like this, the
backlog keeps growing.

When I urged you not to run for secretary a year ago, this situation was
what I was hoping to avoid.  At that time you were chair of the LP- MA,
chair of the LNC"s building committee and working on becoming a partner of
your law firm.  And since then you're gotten married.  Your workload
clearly is too much.

Dianna