[Lnc-business] LNC Member Blogging

Scott L. scott73 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 30 11:44:42 EDT 2014

I appreciate Mr. Katz's attempt to permit some form of public commentary on
our web site.

However - this will open up a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened.

If LP members are unhappy with something the National Party does, there are
many, many places where they can post their discontent (or their agreement,
if they like something that we did).  Plus - our lp.org e-mail addresses are
always available on the web site.

This organization exists to elect Libertarians to public office.  Having a
"comment" section on our web site will give the media a one-stop shop to
pick up juicy quotes that they can use to marginalize the Libertarian Party.
You all know that having a disclaimer at the bottom of that comment page
will not dissuade the media from claiming that one isolated comment is
"indicative" of how some Libertarian Party members feel about X or Y.

Ladies and gentlemen - please don't go down this route.  Let IPR and all the
other libertarian web sites take care of the need for our members to have an
outlet to publicly express their opinions on internal LP governance, or
other matters.

  Scott Lieberman

"I would respectfully disagree with the vice chair, for largely the reasons
Dr. Lieberman mentions. I like the solution oriented approach, but I
disagree with forcing it on LNC members on the website. Also, the primary
readers will likely be LP members, not the public at large, but the public
at large will also read what is written, raising the concerns the Secretary
raises, plus the difficulty in writing for a split audience.

I would instead propose having open comments on everything on the website.
Then, if an LNC member chooses to comment, it is clear that it isn't under
color of office, since anyone can comment, although they can choose to
include their identity and title if they think it will lend credence.

If an LNC member wishes to post elsewhere under color of office, they are
free to. Many of us do, and at the regional level, we have more direct means
of speaking to constituents. If an LNC member wants to post on the website
officially, or other have an LP branded statement, they can go through the
APRC.

If we do go this route, though, I would disagree with then specifying what
people can say. Without open posting, the justification for allowing posts
without APRC approval is board member status, which out ranks staff and most
management (we have a combined chair and CEO, hence most.) So either we
entrust board members in this way, or we don't. Or limit it to some subset,
say, those who do or may supervise staff directly, ie. Chair and Vice Chair.

   Joshua Katz"