[Lnc-business] Financial woes

Joshua Katz joshua.katz at lp.org
Sat Aug 9 13:21:07 EDT 2014

Since I had only one person join me in my call to authorize additional
debt, and that was qualified with the idea of waiting another month, I now
float the following three motions and seek sponsors.

1.  The LNC shall authorize no expenditures other than those necessary for
activities already authorized by vote or bylaws to be undertaken (to
include votes which closed before the effective date but which have not yet
been reported on the effective date, if any.)  No money shall be expended
by the party until November 1, 2014, other than that which has already been
authorized or encumbered, exempting expenditures from restricted funds.  No
additional expenses shall be undertaken, and no agreements with vendors
entered into requiring payment before November 1, 2014.  In addition, the
LNC shall direct the Secretary to write official notices of apology to all
vendors whose payments are delayed via negotiations by staff, or via
non-payment or extension of terms, on behalf of the LNC.

2.  Prior to the December meeting in New Orleans, staff shall be requested
to issue all necessary reports in written form, to be presented at the
meeting (as specifically required, or traditional.)  Staff presence at the
LNC meeting shall be restricted to the Executive Director and one
additional staff member, to be chosen by the Executive Director following
consultation with the Chair.

3.  The LNC directs the Executive Director to issue a report with all
specific staff responsibilities, estimated hours required per week, and
skills needed to perform staff functions.  The Executive Director then
shall issue a report indicating potential to replace staff functions with
volunteer efforts, after conducting a member survey for skills and
willingness to volunteer.  The LNC requests that the Chair, after
consulting said report, reconsider all staff arrangements and contracts.

I favor the first, but am looking for all ways to stem costs.  We have a
balloon payment hanging over our heads, currently are bankrupt, and have
continued to vote to authorize expenditures.  I believe these operations
must be reconsidered.  I understand that our financial hole is a temporary
phenomenon, and that our bankruptcy is a matter of accounting, but we are
still in dire financial straits.  I do believe that we need to bring in
more money, but a financial crisis is also an opportunity to reconsider our
spending habits, which should be restrained, and mostly aimed at our core
mission, at all times, regardless of circumstances.

Joshua A. Katz

Region 8 (Region of Badassdom) Alternate
Libertarian National Committee

Chair, Libertarian Party of Connecticut