[Lnc-business] convention duration and costs

Guy McLendon guy at mclendon.net
Tue Sep 2 12:22:44 EDT 2014

In 2010 I was concerned our current National Platform was going to be gutted by the persons who may still be interested in the "Restore 04" effort, and I was serving at the time as the Texas rep on the National Platform Committee.  IMHO, our current Platform is a masterpiece of human work, and merits great personal sacrifices to keep it intact.

My daughter's high school graduation was on the same weekend that LNC scheduled the national convention, so I was forced to choose between attending her graduation ceremony vs protecting the hard work expended by the 2008 convention.  My consolation was that, unlike our nation's founders, I wasn't duty-compelled to be away from home for years at the time.  Also further consolation, she was a national merit finalist, so I did get to watch her walk across a stage to get her National Merit award ... Still, every time I visit my Houston home, I see photos of my daughter's graduation ... where Daddy will forever be noticeably absent.

So ... I've got a strong preference for LP to not schedule our national conventions on weekends where high school graduations occur.  I'd avoid Memorial Day weekends because many graduations occur that weekend.

Guy McLendon
LNC At Large Member
Chair Affiliate Support Committee
Libertarian Party National Committee