[Lnc-business] LPHQ job posting - Editor & Technology Developer

Joshua Katz planning4liberty at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 16:52:09 EST 2014

I do not read a bylaw authorizing electronic meetings, a bylaw
amendment properly vetted and forwarded by the bylaws committee, as a
demand that we do anything.  I see it as permission, so I would
disagree that the delegates made this demand, unless I'm missing
something.

Furthermore, I agree that there are benefits to in-person meetings,
and think that electronic meetings can be used to replace maybe one or
two, or, even better, to meet more often (in place of the email
ballots that I dislike) rather than replacing physical meetings.

That said, there is a world of difference between the expectations put
on volunteers who meet 6 times per year, and a full-time employee.  A
better parallel might be to ask if we should move to New Orleans while
meeting there, then move to whereever we hold our next
meeting...clearly not, yet we expect employees to move to where they
work.  We do not meet every day.

I thank you for distributing Carver's frequently.  I believe that
Carver's clearly distinguishes boards from staff, including
management, and that the distinction I am making is in line with
Carver's.  We govern, we do not work (in our board capacity, in a
strict meaning of work.)  Governing has different requirements from
working day to day.

Joshua Katz
Joshua A. Katz
Westbrook CT Planning Commission (L in R seat)