[Lnc-business] Ballot access - October vs. December - again

Scott L. scott73 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 10 05:53:19 EST 2014

Staff - the attached file is not meant to be an official document for the
LNC Session this weekend.

As you can see from these LNC-EC Minutes, the EC encumbered $10,000 for
ballot access petitioning in New Hampshire earlier this year:

   https://www.lp.org/files/20140724_ECTC.pdf

The only EC member to vote against this encumbrance was the Secretary.  Her
reason was that she did not think there was enough time before the deadline
to get the signatures.  Ultimately, she was proven correct, and I don't
think any of that $10,000 was actually spent.

The vote test for retaining ballot access in NH is to get 4% for Governor or
US Senate, and that test must be passed every two years.  The attached file
has information about the two candidates that were running for those
positions for the Nov 2014 election.

I know you are all pressed for time, so don't feel obligated to read the
entire attached file - but please read the stuff that I put in boldface.
That makes up about one page in total.

My question for you is - do you think that either of these two people had
even a small chance of getting 4% for Governor or US Senate?  I am not
trying to assign blame to the Chair of LPNH.

I am asking:  Why does the National Party allocate hundreds of thousands of
dollars of our member's money for ballot access petitioning to get
candidates on the ballot in vote-test races, but those candidates get little
or no vetting by the National Party?

My point is:  our Party has been excellent at obtaining 45 or more state
ballot access in October of even-numbered years.  However, we have been not
that good at retaining that ballot access in December of even-numbered years
because we fail too many vote tests.

You might counter: "Our national ballot access is better right now at this
point in an election cycle than ever before."

Even if that is true, after 43 years I would like to think that we would
have figured out how to lobby or get initiatives passed that changed enough
vote tests, and figured out how to get 3% or 5% of the vote, such that we
have semi-permanent ballot access in 45 or more states.

By only having to collect sigs in 4 or 5 states every two years, we would
change ballot access from a huge problem into just a minor annoyance.

   Scott Lieberman

PS - I will not have access to my e-mail from now until Monday, so if you
have any follow-up questions, you can ask me on Saturday.