[Lnc-business] Recent LP Facebook post - Our Continued Social Media Blunders

Daniel Wiener wiener at alum.mit.edu
Sat Feb 28 14:37:23 EST 2015

Nick,

I'm not concerned about the social media resources of the Rand campaign.
I'm concerned about the public relations blunder of categorizing Rand as
just as bad as Bush and Clinton, and thereby alienating many people who
would otherwise be sympathetic to the LP.  The time will come when Rand
fails to get the Republican nomination, and at that point we'd like many of
his supporters to gravitate to the LP's Presidential candidate.  This is
hardly the way to accomplish that.

Dan

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Nicholas Sarwark <chair at lp.org> wrote:

> The Presidential campaign of a sitting Republican Senator has more social
> media resources than a previous Libertarian Presidential candidate.  Is
> this news?
>
> -Nick
>

> On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 11:37 AM, Scott L. <scott73 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>> I bet an overwhelming majority of those commenting became followers of
>> the LP’s Facebook page *before *the Rand Paul meme was posted.  If there
>> is a way to find out, I hope the LP’s Facebook team is willing to release
>> the number of commenters on that meme who joined before, vs. after, that
>> meme was posted.
>>

>> And even if by some miracle the majority of those commenters were not
>> followers of the LP’s Facebook page until today,  and they have never
>> commented on any other LP Facebook post, it still means that the Rand Paul
>> campaign team, a year before the NH Primary, is able to get over 1000 of
>> their supporters to comment on a Facebook post on a minor party’s web site
>> within 5 hours of its original posting.
>>

>> Just to put that in perspective, the largest number of comments that ANY
>> of Governor Gary Johnson’s January Facebook posts have received
>>
>> as of TODAY is 571, and that post has been up for over a month.
>> https://www.facebook.com/govgaryjohnson
>>

>>    Scott Lieberman
>>

>>  ------------------------------

*"In general, we look for a new law by the following process. First, we
guess it (audience laughter), no, don’t laugh, that’s the truth. Then we
compute the consequences of the guess, to see what, if this is right, if
this law we guess is right, to see what it would imply and then we compare
the computation results to nature or we say compare to experiment or
experience, compare it directly with observations to see if it works. If it
disagrees with experiment, it’s WRONG. In that simple statement is the key
to science. It doesn’t make any difference how beautiful your guess is, it
doesn’t matter how smart you are, who made the guess, or what his name is.
If it disagrees with experiment, it’s wrong. That’s all there is to it.”*
-- Richard Feynman (https://tinyurl.com/lozjjps)