[Lnc-business] draft minutes of 3/7/15 EC meeting

Alicia Mattson agmattson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 03:02:50 EDT 2015

I'm awarding Daniel Hayes a point for that answer!

I'll award another point to the first person to explain why seconds aren't
even technically needed in EC meetings.  :-)

And then for those interested in building their RONR skills, seconds are
often less important critters than you might think.  For instance, this
passage spans pages 36-37 of RONR:

"The requirement of a second is for the chair's guidance as to whether he
should state the question on the motion, thus placing it before the
assembly. Its purpose is to prevent time from being consumed by the
assembly's having to dispose of a motion that only one person wants to see
introduced.

In handling routine motions, less attention is paid to the requirement of a
second. If the chair is certain that a motion meets with wide approval but
members are slow in seconding it, he can state the question without waiting
for a second. However, until debate has begun in such a case—or, if there
is no debate, until the chair begins to take the vote and any member has
voted—a point of order (see 23) can be raised that the motion has not been
seconded; and then the chair must proceed formally and ask if there is a
second. Such a point of order should not be made only for the sake of form,
if it is clear that more than one member wishes to take up the motion.
After debate has begun or, if there is no debate, after any member has
voted, the lack of a second has become immaterial and it is too late to
make a point of order that the motion has not been seconded. If a motion is
considered and adopted without having been seconded—even in a case where
there was no reason for the chair to overlook this requirement—the absence
of a second does not affect the validity of the motion's adoption."

-Alicia