[Lnc-business] UPDATED - logo picker

Daniel Wiener wiener at alum.mit.edu
Fri Apr 17 03:12:49 EDT 2015

Thank you, Arvin.  Now that I can see the logo candidates side-by-side,
here are my impressions:

1. "Torch Eagle" -- Not bad, and I could live with it.  But I'm not as
enthusiastic as I was at the LNC meeting.

2. "Torch Flower" -- Meh.  I could tolerated it, just barely.  There are
several better options.

3. "Liberty Bell L" -- No.  I'm not a fan of negative space, and if someone
doesn't immediately recognize the bell portion it looks pretty stupid.

4. "1996 (prior) Logo" -- This would be my default choice if we can't agree
on anything else.

5. "L-Looping-P" -- I can't make up my mind about this.  On the one hand I
appreciate its clean form and simplicity, and the way it could lend itself
to good branding.  On the other hand, it seems like it would only be
effective if we spent $100 million on a marketing campaign to establish it
as the LP symbol, similar to what giant corporations would have to do to
re-brand themselves.  Plus it lacks any inherent meaning, which may not
bother the general public but would matter to a lot of libertarians.

6. "Crown-in-Torch" -- I like it.  It has a touch of elegance and maintains
the LP's torch of liberty theme.  I wouldn't necessarily put it in first
place, but I'd classify it as one of the leading contenders.

7. "Stylized Lady Liberty" -- It's okay, but I think it's a bit inferior to
#4.

8. "Old Logo" -- Too dark.  Not as good as #4.

9. "Rosie the Riveter" -- This has possibilities.  But this was a
conceptual suggestion, and needs to be simplified and stylized a bit to
make it more practical.  Aaron Starr had proposed this, and said he was
going to follow up with the Texas LP and contact the designer to see if an
improved version could be made.  I'm copying Aaron on this email, to see if
he's made any progress along those lines.

Dan Wiener