[Lnc-business] Oklahoma petition - Re: Fwd: Re: [Lnc-votes] February LNC Meeting

Alicia Mattson agmattson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 16:37:21 EST 2016

Since the 68% validity is an estimate, I'm assuming it's an optimistic
estimate.  The finances for this drive have all turned out to be very
optimistic estimates.  On the previous EC call, I expressed my hunch that
more money would be required, and I'm not at all surprised that here we are
again with the large sunk costs now serving as strong leverage to spend
whatever it takes to get some value from the sunk costs.  Based on the
numbers above, I'm expecting that tonight the EC will be asked to put
somewhere in the ballpark of another $20,000 into the project.  If that
number proves to be the final allocation, then we will have spent $105,000
on a drive for which the original estimates were $65,000.

It does not actually change things at this point, but I am curious how many
of the people who voted for this project at the start would have still
voted for it if the price tag had instead been $105,000 for a state where
the chance of retention for the next cycle is so unrealistic.

We need to deal in reality, not optimistic hopes.  What is the lowest
validity rate that we realistically think we could experience when we turn
in?  I realize this isn't hard science and any number is a guess, but what
is the lowest validity rate that wouldn't be terribly surprising?

It would be a shame to spend $105,000 and then be disqualified for being a
few signatures short because we were slightly too optimistic about the
validity rate.

-Alicia