[Lnc-business] Happy Birthday

Joshua Katz planning4liberty at gmail.com
Mon May 2 11:04:37 EDT 2016

Today is the birthday of someone who has had a large impact on our lives
and the conduct of business in our party.

Today we celebrate the birth of a brigadier general (tombstone promotion)
in the Civil War.  Born in 1837 in South Carolina, his family moved to Ohio
out of opposition to slavery.  His father was President of Morehouse
College, and he attended West Point (where Ben Carson claimed to have been
offered a scholarship).  Following the war, he had a distinguished career
as an engineer.

However, he is most notable for an incident which occurred as a
newly-promoted military officer.  He was asked to preside over a church
meeting, and performed very poorly.  Necessity being the mother of
invention, he saw a need for a standardized and updated compilation of the
rules of order, and resolved to write one.

Henry Martyn Robert wrote that book, and included the following phrase in
the preface:

*Where there is no law, but every man does what is right in his own eyes,
there is the least of real liberty.*

This seems an important phrase for those of us who make it our life's goal
to see the most of real liberty.  As we celebrate this important occasion,
may your presiding officers be firm and fair, your minutes clear and
accurate, and may the appeals be always in your favor.

Joshua A. Katz
Westbrook CT Planning Commission (L in R seat)