[Lnc-business] Larry Elder to moderate convention debate

Daniel Hayes danielehayes at icloud.com
Sat May 7 04:17:56 EDT 2016

Sorry it took so long for me to respond to this, between working on finalizing the convention schedule and getting the bus off of me.
The Convention Committee voted on this because I brought it to them.  Jeff Hewitt, the current Libertarian Mayor of Calimesa, California, and the new Region 4 Representative called me to pitch the idea to me.  The second he said Larry Elder I said, Yes.  Then I heard the cost and said “Prolly not” but find a donor and it’s on.  Jeff did, and it was on.  Larry Elder is a well respected media personality that has ties to the Libertarian movement going way back.  It seemed like a no-brainer, and it still is.

People are worried because he made some pro-trump tweets after we selected him. And? Might he ask our candidates, “Why shouldn’t you drop out of the race to better help Trump beat Hillary?”  If our presidential candidates can't handle that question and others with ease, then they need to step aside and let someone else take it.  If our candidates can’t answer that then maybe I should vote for Trump.  I have zero concern that I will be voting for the Donald this November.  I would vote for NOTA first.  I have faith that our people can handle this and other questions he may ask.  In fact I think I would like that question to be asked.  I suspect there are others that want to keep Mr. Elder on a tight leash.   The guy is a professional and leashes are just so libertarian(I think I just ticked off the BDSM caucus).  That said, I get it.. people use our platform all the time and then abuse that privilege.  Like all things, we need to find the balance.

Let me make it clear.  I did it. I brought it to the committee. I sold them on the idea. ME. Not Wes. Not the other committee members.  I can throw Jeff Hewitt in there with me too. He and I made this happen.
If Elder comes out of our convention still TRUMPeting the Donald’s praises, big deal. We had a big media personality moderate our debate.  We didn’t shy away from the hard moderator.  We can embrace it.  And What IF?
What if he comes out of the Debate and says he changed his mind and is voting for the Libertarian nominee?  We stand to gain so much more than we have at risk.

Daniel Hayes
Convention Committee Complaint Department