[Lnc-business] filtering requests from the membership

Alicia Mattson agmattson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 18:30:37 EDT 2016

If the LNC took the time to meet, debate, and vote on every idea that some
member somewhere has, we'd be meeting every day.  I do not think LNC
members are obligated to put forward a motion that they don't even support
just because one person asked them to.  I think part of the job of being on
the LNC is understanding what things are or are not productive uses of our
time.  It's not just about the time of the person putting forth the motion,
but it is the time of 16 other LNC members, plus 8 alternates, and
potentially some staff.  Sometimes it is our job to thank the person for
the suggestion but politely reject an idea brought to us.

If you think an idea actually has broader support among the membership than
just ten people, and you think it is the right way to address a situation,
and you think it is important enough to make 30 people spend time on it,
then fine, make a motion.  But don't bring us clutter that you don't even
favor.

RONR, 11th ed. p. 393:

"REFRAINING FROM SPEAKING AGAINST ONE'S OWN MOTION. In debate, the maker of
a motion, while he can vote against it, is not allowed to speak against his
own motion. He need not speak at all, but if he does he is obliged to take
a favorable position. If he changes his mind while the motion he made is
pending, he can, in effect, advise the assembly of this by asking
permission to withdraw the motion (pp. 295–97)."

Motions should be made by people who favor the idea, and who intend to
support the motion unless debate later changes their mind.

-Alicia