[Lnc-business] Committee transparency

Caryn Ann Harlos carynannharlos at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 00:04:08 EDT 2016

Joshua, I will consider these and may except some but I see some I will not.

I THANK YOU for your careful consideration.  I will give just as much care
in reviewing prior to our meeting tomorrow.

On Saturday, September 24, 2016, Joshua Katz <planning4liberty at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I will be introducing the motion to amend indicated below.  Bold is for
> additions, italics for removal.
>
> Before that, though, I have some comments on this motion.  First, not all
> committees have power - in fact, some members of the LNC are likely to
> support this while also believing that no committees, or very few, should
> be empowered.  What is the purpose of a non-empowered committee?  It
> depends on the committee, but in all cases, the committee is supposed to be
> composed of people with particular knowledge in a particular area or on a
> particular question, and to return recommendations for action.  RONR
> differentiates between a few sorts of committees.  Standing committees are
> composed of "the strongest possible group for the handling of any task that
> may arise within the province of the committee."  Special committees are
> subdivided into types.  A special committee appointed to carry out an
> instruction from the assembly should be composed only of those who favor
> the action.  When one is appointed for investigation and deliberation, it
> should be larger, and should represent all viewpoints within the
> organization, to the extent possible.  This motion, though, treats all
> three of these committees types alike.
>
> When we impose obligations on committee members, we are limiting the pool
> of people willing to serve.  We should, therefore, be sure that the
> obligation makes sense and serves a purpose.  When a special committee is
> appointed to carry out an instruction, I see no particular purpose to
> compelling committee members to provide their contact information.  Their
> task is not aided by being provided with the opinions of various party
> members - the views of the one, or the several, do not prevail over the
> views of the many - in particular, as ordered by the assembly or its
> appointees.  The other two sorts it probably makes sense to display contact
> information for - particularly the last type.  However, even there, what
> we're doing is politicizing the process of committee deliberation.  We're
> purposefully trying to allow for lobbying and email campaigns - in the case
> of the candidate committee, for instance, we're making it easier to get a
> letter-writing campaign on behalf of a candidate whose campaign does not
> advance our strategic objectives.  As I said here a few weeks ago, we're
> favoring the most vocal over the decisions made by the delegates as a whole.
>
> Regarding "or within the committee's own published standing rules for
> executive session," why on earth would we require this?  We are discussing
> committees appointed by the LNC.  The LNC operates under RONR and our own
> rules.  Committees we appoint are not permitted, unless we give them
> permission, to adopt their own rules of order.  Presumably, we'd interpret
> this rule as us giving them permission to adopt their own rules of order as
> regards executive session, but that misses the point - unless they do, they
> [...]

Region 1 Representative, Libertarian National Committee (Alaska, Arizona,
Colorado, Hawaii, Kansas, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Washington) - Caryn.Ann.
Harlos at LP.org <Caryn.Ann.Harlos at LP.org>
Communications Director, Libertarian Party of Colorado
<http://www.lpcolorado.org>
Colorado State Coordinator, Libertarian Party Radical Caucus
<http://www.lpradicalcaucus.org>