[Lnc-business] Motion: Assemblyman Moore - request for co-sponsors

Caryn Ann Harlos carynannharlos at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 13:50:23 EDT 2016

We have enough cosponsors for a ballot.  I will argue for it in the ballot.

It was an LPNV who last broached this action
with me - I believe it has the support of the aggrieved affiliate - and
members- who's money we spent.

The second vote was expressly against something the LPNV was opposed to
actively for years.

This is a betrayal of the LPNV.  And I certainly did not vote (and I argued
zealously) to support a candidate - out of many worthy candidates - who
would take such crony capitalist anti/libertarian power.

On Friday, October 21, 2016, Ken Moellman <ken.moellman at lpky.org> wrote:

> Please allow me to take the Devil's Advocate position, since I probably
> won't have a vote that counts anyway.  I realize that this position is
> unlikely to be popular.
>
> Politics and philosophy can be a tough balancing act.  Certainly, there
> are instances of this problem with our presidential ticket (bake the cake,
> for example) and probably every other campaign out there (vaccination
> debate, etc.).  Elected officials, and indeed individuals, are faced with
> tough decisions between philosophy and reality all the time.  Perhaps the
> most famous was Jefferson's opposition to slavery while also owning slaves.
>

> Assemblyman Moore reported that a poll of the constituents of his district
> showed that about 60% of the constituents supported the deal, including the
> associated taxes. Certainly, there could and should have been a coordinated
> effort by the opposition to stop this deal by educating the public. Based
> on the level of support reported within Assemblyman Moore's district, those
> efforts were obviously unsuccessful.
>
> Even taking what was said above into account, I personally
> think Assemblyman Moore's greatest failing in this situation came was in
> how he supported the deal.  A statement about "While I personally do not
> support this deal, I voted in favor because my constituents wanted me to do
> so" could have been a very good moment.  It would have provided an
> opportunity to educate the public about the negatives of the deal and
> hopefully prevent this type of situation from happening the next time.
>

> So I ask these questions:  Do you think that what John Moore did was
> driven by philosophy, or by politics?  Do you believe that John Moore
> wanted higher taxes?  As an elected representative, should he represent the
> people of his district, or ignore those people in favor of his own
> philosophy?  Is it more wise to go against the constituency, especially
> this close to election day, or is it more wise to fight another day when
> your "army" is more organized and can help you win the day?
>
> Just something to think about.  I'm not pleased at the idea of yet another
> billionaire getting a taxpayer-funded stadium and I don't believe they
> create enough economic activity to offset the costs.  At least the team
> name is appropriate.
>
> ---
>
> Ken C. Moellman, Jr.
> LNC Region 3 Alternate Representative
> LPKY Judicial Committee
>

> On 2016-10-21 09:27, William Redpath wrote:
>
> I will also co-sponsor, as I was opposed to the $10,000 motion at the LNC
> meeting in July 2016.  Bill Redpath
> On Thu, 10/20/16, David Demarest <dpdemarest at centurylink.net
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','dpdemarest at centurylink.net');>> wrote:
>
>  Subject: Re: [Lnc-business] Motion: Assemblyman Moore - request for
>    co-sponsors
>  To: lnc-business at hq.lp.org
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','lnc-business at hq.lp.org');>
> [...]

Harlos at LP.org <Caryn.Ann.Harlos at LP.org>
Communications Director, Libertarian Party of Colorado
<http://www.lpcolorado.org>
Colorado State Coordinator, Libertarian Party Radical Caucus
<http://www.lpradicalcaucus.org>