[Lnc-business] Candidate contracts - legal advice?

Caryn Ann Harlos carynannharlos at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 17:01:25 EDT 2016

I believe the contact may be against public election policy if with the
voter, but there is consideration.  The voter promises support IF the
candidate follows the pledge.  Clear consideration.  But I think this would
violate some election law, it just doesn't pass the gut test.

Now as between the candidate and the LNC, I think that might be a different
matter.

On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Joshua Katz <planning4liberty at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I believe the contract is unenforceable for want of consideration.  The
> voter does not have their future actions constrained in any way, and so
> suffers no detriment.
>

> Joshua A. Katz
> Westbrook CT Planning Commission (L in R seat)
>
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Arvin Vohra <votevohra at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A few years ago, we started doing candidate pledges. We basically based
>> them off the Norquist tax pledge, but made them about cutting government
>> instead not just not growing it. Some include sponsoring legislation to cut
>> spending to 1998 levels to eliminate the income tax, sponsoring legislation
>> to cut military spending by 60 percent, sponsoring legislation to repeal
>> the Patriot act, etc. The pledges are obviously voluntary.
>>
>> I've been considering advancing this from a pledge to a (voluntary)
>> contract. There are two versions I have considered so far:
>>
>> 1. The contract would be signed by the candidate, with any voter able to
>> act as a cosigner. The voter would download a signed pdf, sign it, and that
>> would put the contract into effect.
>>
>> 2. The contract would be between the candidate and the LNC.
>>
>> Unlike the pledge, the contract would have clear, defined, monetary
>> penalties. As in: "The candidate will oppose any tax increase for any
>> purpose, unless it is accompanied by a larger simultaneous tax decrease, or
>> will pay $10,000." Or something along those lines.
>>
>> Looking for legal and other input.
>>
>> -Arvin
>>
>> --
>> Arvin Vohra
>>
>> www.VoteVohra.com
>> VoteVohra at gmail.com
>> (301) 320-3634

Region 1 Representative, Libertarian National Committee (Alaska, Arizona,
Colorado, Hawaii, Kansas, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Washington) - Caryn.Ann.
Harlos at LP.org <Caryn.Ann.Harlos at LP.org>
Communications Director, Libertarian Party of Colorado
<http://www.lpcolorado.org>
Colorado State Coordinator, Libertarian Party Radical Caucus
<http://www.lpradicalcaucus.org>