[Lnc-business] Email Ballot 2016-15: Censure John Moore

Joshua Katz planning4liberty at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 14:18:46 EDT 2016

I don't find much in what Starchild writes here with which to disagree, but
on this:

* Joshua says that to be a public official is to have the right and
obligation to make the final decision. Well, yes and no. Yes when it comes
to how one votes in the legislature, of course. But the public may have
something further to say about that vote, either at the ballot box or
elsewhere, and we are part of the public. Contrary to what part of John's
letter seems to suggest, censure, public pressure, and so on are entirely
compatible with the Non-Aggression Principle.*

I do have a comment.  Of course I don't mean that no one can say anything
about the way a public official votes.  By "final decision" I meant casting
the vote in the legislature, or taking actions as an executive.  Naturally,
the public can criticize, can recall, can lobby, etc.  All I meant was that
the public, while doing those things, is not ultimately responsible.  If
constituents pressure their representative to vote for the draft, it is the
representative who has taken action to send people to kill and be killed
against their will.  The actions of the constituents can be criticized, but
doesn't bear the same weight of responsibility.

Joshua A. Katz