[Lnc-business] Add District Information for the Database

Caryn Ann Harlos carynannharlos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 19:13:14 EST 2016

>From an email:

Colleagues,

For several years, I have been asking you on the LNC to have election
districts (right on down to precincts) added as fields to the database.  We
really need to have this data available for our activists.

Two years ago, Chuck Moulton wrote a script that calculates those districts
using free web sources.  As it uses Census data, it's not perfect.  But
though that script has been available for two years, National still doesn't
have the ability to use it.

Now yet another option has been added to the toolkit.

Google just made it really freaking easy, and free.  Don't know if they
would throttle it or not with a mass quantity of lookups, but I'm sure we
could find out.

Here's my result:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Where+do+I+vote+in+the+2016+
United+States+election+%23Everyonein2016#eob=va/4/16/m.07z1m

If you have each person's precinct, the rest can be filled in with
relational tables from each state voters office.  For instance, with my
result, the precinct number can be harvested using a table of precinct
names and numbers from the Virginia State Board of Elections (which I
have).  Each election district -- say, Virginia House of Delegates -- is
associated with precinct numbers.  They can be relationally connected to
find my HOD election district.  And so on.

All states have a similar setup.  This isn't rocket science.  We're a
political party, and our local, state, and national affiliates -- and our
candidates -- need to have this information readily available.

Please add election district data to the database.

Sincerely Yours,

        Marc Montoni, Founding Member
        Libertarian Party Radical Caucus
        804-592-6066 (h)
        http://www.RadicalCaucus.org <http://www.radicalcaucus.org/>
        My direct email: <AMCAmbassador at gmail.com>
        Home mailing address: PO Box 864, Dayton VA  22821-0864

Region 1 Representative, Libertarian National Committee (Alaska, Arizona,
Colorado, Hawaii, Kansas, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Washington) - Caryn.Ann.
Harlos at LP.org <Caryn.Ann.Harlos at LP.org>
Communications Director, Libertarian Party of Colorado
<http://www.lpcolorado.org>
Colorado State Coordinator, Libertarian Party Radical Caucus
<http://www.lpradicalcaucus.org>