[Lnc-business] Added Mortgage Payment

Ken Moellman ken.moellman at lpky.org
Mon Nov 28 09:53:43 EST 2016

Our Policy Manual also encourages specific fundraising for that purpose,
in the same section that creates the minimums and creates priority.

"It shall be the goal of the LNC to completely pay off the office
mortgage as quickly as possible, and in any case prior to the due date
of the 10-year balloon payment. Towards that end the LNC shall budget a
minimum of $60,000 in each odd-numbered year to pay down the principal
until the mortgage balance is zero. _FUNDRAISING FOR THIS SPECIFIC
PURPOSE SHALL BE MADE A HIGH PRIORITY._ This provision does not preclude
_ADDITIONAL FUNDRAISING_ and prepayments in even-numbered years. "
(emphasis added)

The Policy Manual specifically requires that we give high priority to
raising money specifically to pay off the building. Have we done so this
year? Do we have a plan to do so next year?

The particular section specifically mentions specific fundraising twice.
While I think it is a reasonable assumption, based on the wording in the
manual, that a 1-for-1 match would be sufficient, I proposed a 2-for-1
because I do think it's important to pay down the mortgage and felt it
might be an acceptable compromise.

If we can create some priority - staff should exist - then we've already
established that there's a balance to be struck. With that established,
I believe that we can best comply with the Policy Manual and with the
desires of multiple LNC members by having the 2-for-1 matching scenario.

And if the membership wants this to be a high-priority project, then
certainly they would put their money specifically toward that effort,
would they not?

---
Ken C. Moellman, Jr.
LNC Region 3 Alternate Representative
LPKY Judicial Committee

On 2016-11-28 09:10, Caryn Ann Harlos wrote:

> No it doesn't. We have the 100K from the bequest that isn't part of our fundraising windfall. We have the deficit from the last payment to catch up- putting us st around 150K. Our policy manual - urges us- on our own- to get ahead. Putting the extra amount ahead is what is reasonable and what I will be supporting.
>
> No one has suggested there is not money for other things and this insures saved money for other things. We can do a fundraiser next year with our fiscally responsible choice in Dec as a selling point centerpiece.
>
> --
>
> IN LIBERTY,
> CARYN ANN HARLOS
> Region 1 Representative, Libertarian National Committee (Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Kansas, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Washington) - Caryn.Ann. Harlos at LP.org
> Communications Director, Libertarian Party of Colorado [1]
> Colorado State Coordinator, Libertarian Party Radical Caucus [2]
>
> --
>
> IN LIBERTY,
> CARYN ANN HARLOS
> Region 1 Representative, Libertarian National Committee (Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Kansas, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Washington) - Caryn.Ann. Harlos at LP.org
> Communications Director, Libertarian Party of Colorado [1]
> Colorado State Coordinator, Libertarian Party Radical Caucus [2]
>
> On Monday, November 28, 2016, Ken Moellman <ken.moellman at lpky.org> wrote:
>
> I guess it depends on who your target audience is. When I walk into a shop and their IT infrastructure is a decade old, my immediate thought is that the company doesn't have their priorities in order. Certainly, I'm biased in that regard. Smaller manufacturing businesses are notorious from being way out of date.
>
> The Democratic Party provides websites for their candidates for a nominal fee. Why? Because that way campaigns can focus on issues and real politicking, not spending excessive amounts of time on back-office work. They're out knocking on doors and building their base.
>
> The Republican Party, through the Kochs, is building a massive database of voters for their Big Data project. Why? Because that way they know what issues drive voters. They can micro-target messaging, making their outreach and GOTV more efficient.
>
> The Libertarian Party currently has a mailing list that sends everything to a Google list so that people can subscribe to the Google list to watch.
>
> If we are to appeal to the Millenial generation, we can't be running on a 286 in a basement. Once upon a time, the LP was ahead of the game when it came to technology. We have stagnated and let our competition overtake us. If our primary political opponents are crushing us on the phones and at the door, how do we ever expect to win?

> [...]

Links:
------
[1] http://www.lpcolorado.org/
[2] http://www.lpradicalcaucus.org/