[Lnc-business] Chair's Proposed Agenda - LNC Meeting December 10-11, 2016

Alicia Mattson agmattson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 19:45:22 EST 2016

On our standard agenda format are two separate new business categories, one
with previous notice, and one without.

Our draft agenda has 10 items under "with previous notice", and none under
"without".  However, only 2 of those 10 items actually met previous notice
requirements (Committee Transparency, and Review of 2016 Campaign).  The
rest should instead be categorized under "without previous notice".

Please note that the requirements for previous notice are outlined in
Policy Manual Section 1.02.1.  The most commonly used method is to send the
exact wording of the motion to the LNC at least 14 days in advance.  Merely
requesting an agenda item without providing the language of a motion to be
offered, or sending the motion wording fewer than 14 days in advance is not
sufficient to gain the "with previous notice" status.

For some things, the distinction only affects the order in which we take
the items up.  The agenda template was designed to reward earlier placement
to people who did give previous notice.

For motions to amend something previously adopted, and for public policy
resolutions, having previous notice (or lack thereof) makes a difference in
what vote is required to adopt the motion.  Placing an item in the wrong
category could result in us making a mistake in determining what vote
threshold must be met.

Just a reminder that we need to be conscious of the difference on those
agenda items.

-Alicia