[Lnc-business] The risks of centralized power and what to do about them

Starchild sfdreamer at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 31 13:28:56 EST 2016

Caryn Ann,

	I think your instincts in feeling discomfort for the reasons you describe are sound, but I can understand why it would take some "chewing over" to put your finger on it, because on the face of things, well, of course we want outreach materials. And to be clear, I think David is probably right that on the whole, the benefits of LNC outreach exceed the risks, even in the current system. I certainly think our money is better spent on outreach materials than on some of the things we spend it on (like catered lunches and flying staff around to meetings!) But I applaud you for thinking about the institutional risks, because that is a methodologically radical approach, and there are probably ways to reduce that risk without "muzzling outreach" or having it end up coming out like milquetoast.

	What would a more bottom-up, affiliate-driven approach to outreach look like? One way it might be accomplished would be to have a greater share of the overall funds taken in by the Libertarian Party going to the affiliates.

	Such a shift could start with an acknowledgement that it is inherently easier in some ways to get people to give money to the national LP than to the state parties, just as it is easier for a presidential candidate to attract donations than a local candidate, and compensate for this by adopting a kind of "reverse-tithing" system, so that instead of every dollar collected at the national level being budgeted at the national level (including disbursements for "affiliate support" and such), a significant percentage of those collections would automatically go to the state affiliates.

	Under such an approach, instead of most of the funds available for hiring staff accruing to the national level, most of the funds available for that purpose might accrue to the affiliate level. Affiliate parties could use the system of regions to pool money for purposes of hiring staff, so that a region of several states might share one or two full-time staffers*, just as the region system is currently used to pool affiliate resources for purposes of gaining representation on the LNC.

	With such a system in place, we would likely see state- or regional-level staffers producing more outreach material, and that material trickling upward, rather than national producing such materials and having them trickle downward. A state affiliate or a region producing a brochure could send a copy to the LNC, which could then decide whether to reproduce it and offer it for sale on the national website.

	In other words, it would be a system less like the Constitution, and more like the Articles of Confederation, with a relatively weak center dependent for assistance on its decentralized components, rather than vice-versa.

Love & Liberty,
                                    ((( starchild )))
At-Large Representative, Libertarian National Committee
                                  (415) 625-FREE
                                    @StarchildSF

*I refer here to "staff" along the lines of the current hiring system for the sake of familiarity, but I think a better approach would be to identify a list of tasks and then pay people on a task-by-task basis to complete them, i.e. more of a gig economy like Uber where a lot of people can each work a little on a flexible basis, instead of a traditional employment model where a few people have long-term sinecures.

P.S. – This observation, I think, gets right to the heart of a whole bunch of related problems:

> "In my joyful task of reading through some historical archives and older publications, we were at times a much different Party, with a fire in the belly that I don't always see now and I fear that what may be pushed out will err on the side of milquetoast."

A methodologically radical approach to this circumstance would go beyond looking merely at ideological signposts to measure where we are versus where we were (how our Platform differs from then to now, the positions and beliefs held by people in the party's leadership now versus then, etc.), and take a hard look also at deeper and more subtle causes like the nature of institutions, how they are affected by time, power, and other factors, how the party's structure, culture, etc., may have worked to undermine our r3VOLutionary spirit, and what structural and cultural changes could halt and reverse this trend, so that we will have institutional safeguards to keep us on a sustainably libertarian course beyond simply trying to ensure that we adopt good Platform amendments and elect good people.