[Lnc-business] LPedia

Ken Moellman ken.moellman at lpky.org
Wed Jan 4 09:09:56 EST 2017

The current LPedia site is hosted on the same hosting account as our old
(2008-2016) LP.org website. Co-hosting with the primary LP.org has
presented issues of control. There has been a (valid) reluctance to let
non-staff manage LPedia because it may create security issues for sites
co-hosted on the same account. By splitting LPedia into its own hosting
account, that problem is resolved. (Also, the final destination for
LP.org will make co-hosting impossible anyway.)

Additionally, the new hosting company will update the software for us,
and will help us fight the spam. This is a huge benefit. The hosting
company is suggesting two different approaches: either lock down LPedia
to to which we grant access, or use spam-fighting tools to help stop the
spam. There's a balance to be struck here, but I don't want to make the
decision on which way to go. The point is that we have options.

>From a budget perspective, we're going to save money overall. Today we
have 3 line items related to various versions of LP.org.
(1) The "Softlayer" line item is for LP.org as it existed from 2002-2008
and still hosts our email today. We pay about $800/mo for this. We can
replace this service for far less; it will likely be between $40 and
$250 per month, depending on the solution.
(2) The "Rackspace" line item is for LP.org from 2008-2016, and also
holds LPedia. This is about $1000/mo.
(3) The current web hosting is also about $1200/mo as it stands. I'm not
sure where this will end up once it gets re-implemented, but I assume it
will be about the same.

So we're looking, overall, at reducing budget from about $3000/mo down
to approximately $1500/mo. Don't hold me to these figures just yet;
there are still decisions to be made. The goal here is to provide better
service at a lower price. I think that goal is attainable.

Manual outlines the following: "Nothing in this policy should be
construed as requiring staff to consult with this Committee for routine
changes or any changes that are not expected to have an effect on the
way HQ deals with any affiliate." I believe that this change falls under
this category, but because we're changing how things are sliced up, I
wanted to make sure that the LNC was okay with this move before just
doing it. I am not one to operate in an "ask for forgiveness" mode. I'd
rather make sure that everyone understands what's happening, and we
agree to take action.

I'm also currently working on a motion to bring forth to create a
committee responsible for maintaining LPedia and all historical
documents of the party. I haven't made this motion yet, because I want
to be sure that this motion is crafted properly; providing control for
these invaluable assets but with checks-and-balances to prevent
unwarranted destruction of them.

---
Ken C. Moellman, Jr.
LNC Region 3 Alternate Representative
LPKY Judicial Committee

On 2017-01-04 01:45, Starchild wrote:

> [...]
>
> From what I can see, the basic issue is that staff doesn't have time to tightly administer the site, but there has been a reluctance to release our grip on information enough to make it fully functional (allow everyone, or at the very least LP members, to edit it as readily as one can edit Wikipedia) _without_ a big investment of staff time.
>
> Ken, does the approach you are talking about here address this problem? If so, how? Please be specific.
>
> Love & Liberty,
> ((( starchild )))
> At-Large Representative, Libertarian National Committee
> (415) 625-FREE
> @StarchildSF
>
> On Jan 3, 2017, at 10:10 PM, Caryn Ann Harlos wrote:
> As you all know, I have been the one really pushing for the LPedia issue and I spoke with Ken at length about this, and I am satisfied with this and in fact more than satisfied. And from what I understand it is a cost savings from what we were paying for this neglected asset, and it becomes a functional assert.
>
> I thank Ken for his hard work and diligence on this.
>
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 10:46 PM, Ken Moellman <ken.moellman at lpky.org> wrote:
>
> All -
>
> After discussion with Sean and staff, we believe we have found a good, long-term solution for LPedia. We have found a hosting company who has offered to host LPedia for less than $500/yr. This solution is a corporate plan with a Virtual Private Server with DDOS protection. They offer advice on best practices as well as services to help block the spam that has plagued LPedia. Best of all, the solution includes support. So, if LPedia has a problem, there's a number to call to get it fixed.
>
> This fixes the technical problems with LPedia and moves us towards our goal of saving the party money.
>
> I wanted to give the LNC the opportunity to object to this move prior to pulling the trigger. If you have any questions, please let me know.
> --
> Ken C. Moellman, Jr.
> LNC Region 3 Alternate Representative
> LPKY Judicial Committee

> IN LIBERTY,
> CARYN ANN HARLOS
> Region 1 Representative, Libertarian National Committee (Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Kansas, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Washington) - Caryn.Ann. Harlos at LP.org
> Communications Director, Libertarian Party of Colorado [6]
> Colorado State Coordinator, Libertarian Party Radical Caucus [7]

Links:
------
[1] http://LPedia.org/
[2] http://www.whois.com/whois/lpedia.org