[Lnc-business] Motion:

Joshua Katz planning4liberty at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 09:35:19 EST 2017

I haven't decided how I will vote on this, and the debate here hasn't
helped me.  Let me revisit some of the comments I made on the document
itself, but in a more inquisitive manner, and see if I can get some light
on the matter.

It seems to me that there are 3 (really 4, but see below) categories of
tasks that matter here.  They are:

1.  Things we do now.
1a.Things that can be done now without a motion, but aren't.
2.  What the makers of this motion intend to do that isn't done now.
3.  What will be done as a result of this motion passing, in 10 years, when
few of us are on the LNC.

Obviously, we want 2 and 3 to be as close to identical as possible.  I'm
getting the sense from some of the discussion that they aren't, and I will
try to make some suggestions on the document to bring them closer together.

My question is on the relation between 1 and 1a together, and 2.  What,
exactly, is in 2 that is not in 1 or 1a?  To give some examples:  is there
anything not being stored that the makers want to see stored?

So far as I know, there is nothing stopping volunteers from going into the
basement and scanning things.  At least, that's the impression I have from
the fact that my colleague from Colorado, a stickler about rules, did so,
with another volunteer member, and there was no suggestion of impropriety.
What stops us from, without doing anything, having volunteers do that?

Which brings me to another question - what, exactly, will this committee
decide?  It seems to me that the answer might be nothing, but I'm not sure
on that.  That is, it looks like it will not be an empowered committee, and
will only make recommendations to the LNC, albeit with special rules of
order that will make it easier for things to pass (but, I suggest, might
impact the vote threshold for this motion, as well as make the Policy
Manual a bit more confusing - it might be good to have this motion amend
the Special Rules of Order section of the Policy Manual as well, and leave
the rules of order parts out of the committee description and scope).
Since it was posted, the scope of those recommendations has been narrowed
somewhat (my understanding of the deleted line about expenditures seems to
have been different from that of several others - I didn't see it giving
the committee unlimited power to commit us to expenditures, but I did see
it as oddly outside the budget process, as others have pointed out - I
might prefer if a budget line were created for this purpose, and the
committee just incurred the costs without going to the LNC within that
line).

So, in sum, here is what I would like to know:
What, exactly, will this motion allow to happen, that cannot happen now?
Why is a committee needed for this purpose?

These questions are actually closely related, because they both get at why
this is a committee, rather than a group of volunteers doing work.

I don't want to get into most of the other points raised at the moment, but
I'll add that volunteer time is, of course, not totally fungible, but I
suspect it is more fungible than we often think.

Joshua A. Katz