[Lnc-business] EFC Update and Extension

Alicia Mattson agmattson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 03:11:23 EST 2017

There are 5 co-sponsors of this motion, which is more than enough to
sponsor an email ballot, however there are two technical problems with the
wording, one of which is fairly important to note.  I want to make sure the
co-sponsors are aware of this before I send it out for a vote.

1)  This motion references "EFC", but if someone is not reading these
threads as we are, and they're just reading our minutes later, they'll have
no clue what this motion is talking about.  At the time we created the
committee, we didn't specify any name for the committee at all, but it was
under an agenda heading about reviewing the 2016 campaign.  Following the
meeting when I needed to have staff add this committee to our website, I
merely had them designate it as the Committee to Solicit Bids for Reviewing
2016 Campaign.  That way it would be easy to find in our minutes what that
committee was.

The committee members themselves nicknamed it the Empowered Future
Committee (? I think ?), but that name appears nowhere in our minutes, nor
does the acronym EFC.

The name confusion will will leave readers in the dark about what it was
this motion did.

2)  The bigger technical issue with this motion is that it actually imposes
new requirements on the committee and doesn't accurately represent what the
date in the original motion was for.  This wording says nothing about
changing the due date for the bids, which is what the January 10th date
was.  However, the wording now says the committee is to present us a report
by the date of January 30, though the original motion required no report
from the committee to the LNC in January.  If we mean to make the bid
deadline January 30, the committee would presumably need some time after
the bid submission deadline to come up with any recommendations and make
any sort of report back to us about the bids.

Is that what the co-sponsors intended to do?  Impose a new reporting
requirement on an unreasonable time frame?

My suggestion to fix both issues is that you take Joshua's idea to merely
amend the motion we adopted in December to change the date, and leave the
rest of the wording alone.  (Okay, technically Joshua said just to change
the "1" to a "3", but this representation is just a little more readable.)
Amend the motion we adopted in December as follows:

"that the Libertarian National Committee establish a committee to take bids
from political consultants for the task of extensively reviewing and making
recommendations for the Libertarian Party’s messaging (and modes of
messaging), inclusion in the debates, fundraising and campaign finance,
campaign mechanics, and state and local affiliates. Said agency will agree
to present their findings to the public before December of 2017. The
committee will take bids until the 10th*30th* of January."

I need to hear from the co-sponsors what you want to do.

-Alicia