[Lnc-business] Historical Preservation Committee - Latest revision

Ken Moellman ken.moellman at lpky.org
Thu Jan 12 18:42:21 EST 2017

The latest version of the HPC proposal is now updated in Google Docs for
review or suggestions. You can review this document here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15PTl9Ns-S7MwNs1HwrgTx8kqn-bXkJSsvrsXmpaYBhk/edit
[8]

As Caryn Ann has mentioned, we are both open to other ideas. The new
LPedia solution is about to happen, from a technical standpoint, and as
such we need to get prepared for someone to actually maintain the
solution.

The current version of the original proposal reads as follows:

A proposal to create the Historic Preservation Committee, tasked with
preserving and publishing all historic documents of the Party.

Add a line item to chart in subsection 1 of section 1.03 of the Policy
Manual, which reads (column name in italics):

_(Committee name)_ Historic Preservation Committee
_(Size)_ Two (2) LNC Members or Alternates, plus up to five (5)
additional LNC or non-LNC members.
_(Member Selection)_ Two LNC Members or Alternates selected by LNC.
Other members selected by the committee, which shall be accepted unless
objected to by a majority of the LNC within 14 days of notification.
_(Chair Selection)_ * Committee Selected

Create a new subsection under section 2.02 of the Policy Manual, which
reads:

x) Historic Preservation Committee

The goal of the Historic Preservation Committee is to preserve historic
documents of the party. To that end, the committee shall:

 	* With the assistance of staff and the Secretary, maintain all
physical historic information in a safe and climate controlled
environment.
 	* With the assistance of staff and the Secretary, collect all public
electronic records.
 	* With the assistance of the IT Committee and staff, provide and
maintain a permanent public document archive in the form of a
publicly-viewable website separate from the Party's primary website. The
committee may permit volunteers to assist in the maintenance of this
website, provided that archived historichistroi documents are not
removed.
 	* Make a good faith effort to preserve and publish all available
historic party documents, and transform physical documents into
electronic format toward that end.
 	* Vote on whether to recommend the destruction of any original
document, or document for which no other copy is available. No document
shall be destroyed without the consent of the LNC, as outlined in
Section 2.07(x).
 	* At each LNC meeting, present a summary of physical document
preservation mechanisms currently being utilized, and the number of
documents preserved in electronic format.
 	* Ensure that any non-public information, defined as information
covered under Section 1.02(5) and not known to have been made public by
the LNC, inadvertently released to the Committee is kept private. Any
electronic copy of non-public information shall be reported to the LNC
and deleted by the recipient(s). Any physical non-public information
shall be securely sealed, marked private, and returned for review by the
LNC.
 	* Within one business day, inform the LNC of any committee
appointments.
 	* Publicly announce and permit a public audience for all meetings.

Nothing listed in the responsibilities, powers, or scope of this
Committee shall be construed to prevent or circumvent the normal
operation of the Party's main website or to interfere in the duties of
the Secretary as mandated by the Party Bylaws or this Policy Manual.

Create a new subsection under section 2.07 of the Policy Manual, which
reads:

(x) All public agendas, meeting minutes, and records of the Party shall
be made available to the Historic Preservation Committee. No data shall
be deleted or destroyed without a vote in the affirmative by no less
than two-thirds of the entire LNC.

---

Ken C. Moellman, Jr.
LNC Region 3 Alternate Representative
LPKY Judicial Committee

On 2017-01-10 13:11, Caryn Ann Harlos wrote:

> We are going to have to deal with LPedia administration etc. sooner rather than later.
>
> I don't mind if we create a temporary committee outside the PM as a test run and do it simple.
>
> That might help us know more what to craft for future.
>
> Ken (I believe- request his input) and I are open to simpler motions to get started and such an initial ad hoc committee could advise the LNC of specifics needed for a more permanent committee.
>
> I have some dedicated volunteers already. And I have been conferring regularly with Chuck Moulton who has an intense interest.
>
> I believe this could relieve a lot of the tension had about lost website data that is strictly historical like candidate list, past LNC composition...
>
> --
>
> IN LIBERTY,
> CARYN ANN HARLOS
> Region 1 Representative, Libertarian National Committee (Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Kansas, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Washington) - Caryn.Ann. Harlos at LP.org
> Communications Director, Libertarian Party of Colorado [4]
> Colorado State Coordinator, Libertarian Party Radical Caucus [5]
>
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 9:53 AM Sam Goldstein <goldsteinatlarge at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wes,
>
> That is an excellent motion and one I could sponsor and support with a few changes since it looks like
> Ms.Harlos would be Chair for Life in the current wording.
>
> Sam
>
> Sam Goldstein
> Libertarian National Committee
> Member at Large
> 8925 N Meridian St, Ste 101
> Indianapolis IN 46260
> 317-850-0726 [6] Phone
> 317-582-1773 [7] Fax
>
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Wes Benedict <wes.benedict at lp.org> wrote:
>
> Staff will do our best to fit in assistance on this project, if
>
> it passes, as we have been already.
>
> Perhaps a better motion might be along the lines of "The LNC
>
> establishes a Historical Committee to help preserve and publish
>
> historical documents of the party and is granted a starting
>
> budget of $5,000. Caryn Ann Harlos is appointed chair with
>
> authority to appoint up to four others."
>
> Delete all that other stuff.
>
> I support the project in general, but will have to be cautious
>
> against spending too much staff time on it. But, I think I can
>
> work well with Caryn Ann on this, though not always helping as
>
> quick and fast as she would like.
>
> I apologize if I've overstepped my welcome on this topic by
>
> suggesting wording for a motion. I just hate to see the effort
>
> fail due to getting bogged down in unnecessary and unhelpful
>
> bureaucracy.
>
> Wes Benedict, Executive Director
>
> Libertarian National Committee, Inc.
>
> 1444 Duke St., Alexandria, VA 22314

> [...]