[Lnc-business] LNC blogging / LP News columns

Ken Moellman ken.moellman at lpky.org
Wed Feb 15 19:57:12 EST 2017

I'd like to propose a compromise.

How about, on the LNC members page, we put a "Personal Website" link
under the image of each LNC member who wishes it. In that scenario, it
keeps the primary LP.org "clean" or on-point, but also allows us to
each, individually, allow people find out more about who we are.

That will prevent the APRC issues with approving content. That will
prevent fights over content on our party's website.

Just a thought.
ken

---
Ken C. Moellman, Jr.
LNC Region 3 Alternate Representative
LPKY Judicial Committee

On 2017-02-15 19:47, Caryn Ann Harlos wrote:

> I think this is better discussed in person, but I am generally in favour. Frankly what comes out sometimes has been sanitized to death and we have become a bit sterile, and not the vibrant passion-filed wildfire to liberty I see in our historical documents. This isn't meant as a criticism, it is I think natural. And I think we have to consciously go back to the vanguard voice.
>
> -Caryn Ann
>
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 5:42 PM, Joshua Katz <planning4liberty at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This topic came up, if I recall correctly, early last term. When first suggested, it made perfect sense to me - how can we, the board, delegate the authority to do these things without having it? I lost interest as the direction of the discussion turned towards wanting a uniformity of message or tone, which pointed out to me some of the practical difficulties with implementation.
>
> While Mr. Demarest is correct that, philosophically, it is nonsensical to speak of organizations as having a voice, it isn't meant as a philosophical claim, but rather as a description of how (some) organizations present themselves. I want to ensure that everything that comes out from this party, with our stamp of approval, is true, professional, on-message, and strategic. We pay staff to do that (although they could do it better with some advance strategic and image guidance from the board). Starchild speaks of anything written by board members passing through the APRC, which does solve the objection that, as I said separately, our position vis a vis the party is as members of the board, not as individuals - would it also be evaluated by staff for the things I mentioned, and possibly edited? If so, will it be signed when it comes out?
>
> If it is, I find that problematic. Staff might not be in a great position to say that a piece is not useful/timely/etc. to a person who votes on their contract and pay. EPCC and EC members might be viewed differently in this regard, as well. If not, well, we've made staff's job of presenting this party to the world a little harder by providing another channel outwards from the party, and it's not clear to me exactly what we'd be getting in return. Yes, many of us may well have things worth saying, and many of us do say them, in our personal capacity. Do we really have such indispensible insights that they must be distributed by the party itself? (If we do think that, well, feel free to organize a giveaway of my book.) Personally, I am satisfied with staff and our chair being our public voice. Certainly, of course, board members often make media appearances and identify ourselves with our board position, speak at various events, and so on, and I think that's all well and good, but,
again, we're not speaking as the party when we do that. At this point, it is hard for me to see what is gained from this proposal.

> [...]
>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>

>>> On Feb 13, 2017, at 10:44 AM, Starchild <sfdreamer at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>> Thanks, guys! I'll have to keep that in mind if I get really hard up... Not that I'm convinced there's a great market for my advice; here on the LNC, it's hard to even give it away sometimes, LOL. ;-)
>

>>> Regarding columns however, I do think LNC members being able to blog on our website along with staff (of course what we write could likewise be vetted by the Advertising & Publications Review Committee), with LP members allowed to comment on those blog posts, would be a good idea that could draw more traffic to our site, spur greater member participation/engagement, and help spread the libertarian message. Perhaps each LNC member could also have the option to publish an occasional column in LP News, like the chair's column that appears every issue, but less frequently. Anyone else interested in a motion on either or both of these ideas?
>

>>> Love & Liberty,
>
>>> ((( starchild ))) At-Large
>
>>> Representative, Libertarian National Committee
>
>>> (415) 625-FREE
>
>>> @StarchildSF
>

>>> P.S. - For those wondering what David and Daniel were referring to, it was a response I wrote to a very long letter that was recently sent to a number of LNC members (perhaps everyone on the committee, I didn't check). Normally when I receive something that's sent to more than two or three LNC members, I will respond and post my response to this list along with the original letter, however I didn't initially do that in this case, because the letter had basically nothing to do with the Libertarian Party and I suspected people would generally not want to read it. When replying, in fact, I "bcc'd" my LNC colleagues, which I normally don't do, lest she hit "reply all" and send us all additional correspondence. Since it's now been discussed (indirectly) on the list however, I've posted the correspondence at bottom for the sake of transparency - and also in case anyone else reading would like to write back to her with any words of encouragement or other things that I should have said
in my reply, but didn't.

>>> To put it gently, the writer appears to be experiencing "consensus reality" a bit differently than most of us. But her final line (for those who managed to read that far), also suggested possible suicidal tendencies, which made me feel I should try to provide more than a cursory response. (I haven't heard anything back, although it's only been a couple days.) She did write to us for help, and she does have concerns about government - although I think they may be less well-founded than the usual concerns that libertarians have about government! Not that her letter contains any particular indication that she is a libertarian, just someone who sounds like she could use some help.

IN LIBERTY,
CARYN ANN HARLOS
Region 1 Representative, Libertarian National Committee (Alaska,
Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Kansas, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Washington) -
Caryn.Ann. Harlos at LP.org
Communications Director, Libertarian Party of Colorado [18]
Colorado State Coordinator, Libertarian Party Radical Caucus [19]

Links:
------
[1] tel:(402)%20981-6469
[2] tel:(402)%20493-0873