[Lnc-business] Veterans in service to the Libertarian Party; see the note at the bottom.

Starchild sfdreamer at earthlink.net
Sun May 14 06:02:32 EDT 2017

Hi Michael,

	Thank you for your message to members of the Libertarian National Committee, and for your activism! That's great to hear that yourself and other former soldiers in the Seattle area are organizing to support the Libertarian Party. I like the Washington Libertarians' "Support The Bill of Rights" banner – simple, blunt, and to the point.

	Regarding the "questionable comments" to which you refer, I'm guessing that you mean some of the recent comments posted by LP vice chair Arvin Vohra on Facebook, since LNC members were also sent another message about the topic criticizing him by name over these remarks, and there has been some debate over his statements about the U.S. government's military forces and personnel on the LNC list, as well as coverage on IPR ( http://independentpoliticalreport.com/2017/05/shane-trejo-libertarian-party-vice-chair-releases-controversial-anti-military-manifesto/ – the comments section is worth checking out).

	Without yet getting into my thoughts on what Arvin has written – I may say more on that later when I reply to the other message mentioned above, from (former?) LP member Michael Sanchez – I would like to ask your opinion as a longtime libertarian who opposes U.S. government military aggression (and if I'm not mistaken, a member of the Grassroots Libertarians Caucus who shares many of my views about the party!), on some questions that I think get to the heart of this controversy.

	I assume you agree that individuals are morally responsible for their own actions, and that working as a government soldier doesn't change that. But to what extent should people who voluntarily work for an aggression-based government in exchange for a paycheck be called out for doing so, or held morally responsible for immoral actions committed by other individuals who are part of that institution, if they themselves play only a relatively minor supporting role?

	As I see it this is by no means an easy question, and not only because I am also a former government soldier myself and conscious of my own compromises with authoritarian power and others made by generally freedom-loving people I respect (e.g. working a "respectable" above-the-table job that provides a good income – and entails paying large amounts of taxes that go toward funding evil). The challenge libertarians face is this: How do we maintain moral clarity and integrity, speak truth to power, and perhaps most crucially, work to de-legitimize the structures and choices that support aggression, without alienating people who might side with freedom against authoritarianism if push comes to shove, or making sacrifices in our lives that – let's be honest – most of us are not prepared to make? (Incidentally, I think we should do more to encourage such sacrifices and support and honor those who choose to make them, but that is a topic that deserves to be addressed at greater length than I want to take space for in this response.)

	There are definitely some individuals whom I believe we should not hesitate to call out and alienate, and I hope we can all agree on that. Powerful statist politicians who are responsible for significant government aggression, whether inside the United States or not, and individuals who personally commit heinous actions such as unjustified murder and other similarly unconscionable crimes, whether they work for government or not, are to me the most obviously deserving of Libertarian condemnation. But where should we draw the line when speaking as Libertarian Party leaders? What level(s) of criticism, if any, of those who choose to work for the U.S. government's military do you think yourself and your colleagues who are former soldiers would be comfortable hearing from the LP, and why?

Love & Liberty,
                                    ((( starchild )))
At-Large Representative, Libertarian National Committee
                                 (415) 625-FREE
                                   @StarchildSF

P.S. – The photo you sent could be great for LP News, the LP website, or some other party publication or communication. Do staff have your permission to use it?

A couple of LP Vice-Chair Arvin Vohra's Facebook posts (links copied from the comments section of the IPR story referenced above):

https://www.facebook.com/arvin.vohra.9/posts/1511726878858800

https://www.facebook.com/arvin.vohra.9/posts/1513441192020702