[Lnc-business] cosponsors requested to have staff manage social media

Ken Moellman lpky at mu-net.org
Thu May 25 22:17:58 EDT 2017

I didn't see that this motion had enough seconds for discussion, but I see
discussion is happening, so I'll add my $0.02.

This motion, standing alone, does not solve the core problem.  It is,
perhaps, something between a band-aid and a tourniquet, and I'm okay with
helping to stop the bleeding.  But no matter how many band-aids we apply,
we still really need an overall marketing strategy.

And I hope that is the finding of this social media committee.  We need a
strategy that works and also has inherent checks-and-balances that keep us
from getting burned.

I do not want to "water down" our principles or our message.  Quite the
opposite.  I am a (Big-L and Small-L) Libertarian, and I want to convince
more people to be as well.  I want to tailor our messages to match the
current political landscape and lexicon. I want to invite new people in,
regardless of their previous or current (arguably horrible) decisions or
beliefs. In short, I believe that we are right, and that the reason we
don't have more people agreeing with us is simply the delivery; whether the
problem is access, pre-existing biases, or packaging.  We must find a way
to connect with people and bring them in.

I want our leaders to voluntarily buy-in to this; I don't want litmus tests
by anyone other than the delegates to decide who sits upon this board.  And
since this ties in loosely with another topic, so I'll add that in here,
too.  I opposed the censure of our candidates, and I believe that it is
consistent to oppose censure of our leadership. Unless someone does
something truly abhorrent, our members should be the ones to make such
decisions.

I understand the anger over the three significant "mistakes" (for lack of a
better term at the moment):

1. Political dynasties are bad; yes. But being someone who lives in KY I
see it as being stupid and petty to attack Rand Paul instead of the other
99 Senators. Let me tell you, the two guys who lost to Rand (in the R
primary, and then the D in the general) sure as heck weren't a "Liberty"
guys.  For crying out loud, my other Senator is McConnell, who only because
he's politically brilliant did he get re-elected with a 60% disapproval
rating!  Is Rand Paul the best libertarian in the whole wide world? No.  Is
he better than Mitch McConnell or any of the other establishment pols in
KY?  Oh heck yeah.

2. "Timing is everything", they say.  I do believe that this message would
have went out no matter what, and I don't really "blame" anyone for it.  It
was bad. It was really bad.  But I honestly wouldn't have thought of it
being bad because I don't think like that.  A lot of us don't think like
that.  A marketing person should be doing our marketing because they do
think like that.  (And that's why I'd support this measure as a first-step,
and hope that the committee finds this to be the case anyway).

3. Wording is critical.  Let's take a completely different example.  There
are feminists who run around screaming angry things, like "mothers are the
whores of the patriarchy".  Now, is that going to endear any existing
mothers, or anyone who loves their mother, to join their cause?  Heck no.
But if they say "the patriarchy tries to train you to be barefoot,
pregnant, and silent" that's a pretty good rallying cry for those same
people.  The message, in both examples, is the same: women who become
mothers are playing into a stereotype created by a male-dominated society.
But one is a rally cry, and one is hateful and angry. Even if it's not
meant that way, it doesn't matter; perception is reality in the world of
politics.

Remember, Howard Dean was destroyed politically because his voice cracked
while screaming "Yeah!" at a rally of supporters.  The supporters at the
rally didn't care; they loved him.  But the rest of the country made fun of
Dean and made him a political joke.  One innocent moment destroyed his
entire political momentum.  And it happens to us, too, as we saw
all-too-well in 2016.

So please, let's try to avoid easily-avoided mistakes.  Let's do a better
job of packaging our principles to help more people see the light.  We know
in our hearts and in our minds that our way is the best way.  We need to
help other people understand that, as well.

ken