[Lnc-business] Bake the Cake

Caryn Ann Harlos caryn.ann.harlos at lp.org
Tue Dec 5 01:33:00 EST 2017

Yes that is what I mean.  No desire to call out Libertarians - no one is
required to agree 100%.  It is just our job to say what the position is.
 I will get something to you - we have a great writer in CO who does a
lot of this for us.

--

IN LIBERTY,
CARYN ANN HARLOS

A haiku to the Statement of Principles:
_We defend your rights_
_And oppose the use of force_
_Taxation is theft_

On 2017-12-04 23:23, Ken Moellman wrote:

> I agree with Caryn Ann and Wes, and would only add that while we don't demand uniformity in the party, the position of free association is clearly the libertarian one.  I own my own labor, and telling me what I can and can't do with my own labor is the fastest way to get me to stop doing that labor altogether.
>
> ---
> Ken C. Moellman, Jr.
> Libertarian National Committee
> Region 3 Alternate
>
> On 2017-12-05 00:32, Wes Benedict wrote:
>
> Caryn Ann, I'm not opposed to a press release stating the real libertarian position on bakeries. If you'd like to send a few paragraphs that clarify it, I'll have our press release team take it the test of the way.
>
> I would not criticize are call out any libertarians that might have said it wrong in the past. Just state the real libertarian positions.
>
> Wes
>
> On Dec 4, 2017, at 7:35 PM, Caryn Ann Harlos <caryn.ann.harlos at lp.org> wrote:
>
> Tom Krannawitter wrote this today (quote below).  This is the tact we need to take.  It does not countenance anyone's particular opinions and put the enemy lines right where they belong - the State.  I reiterate.  We have a ton of people right now who think it is Libertarian to force the baking of cakes.  We have an opportunity to set that record straight and stop the implicit idea that religious people have rights that others do not.  I do not begrudge them escaping illegitimate state coercion just like I do not begrudge ANY tax cut, but always say that everyone should get them, and everyone has these rights.  If we are scared of our own shadow on this, we are not leading the way to libertarian reasoning rather than the polarized identity politics of today.
>
> ==Tomorrow the Supreme Court will hear arguments in the case of Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission. Both sides, in and out of the courtroom, will focus on the wrong arguments.
>
> Those who oppose baker Jack Phillips, on the one hand, will argue that government has the rightful authority to command one class of property owners (cake ingredient owners) with whom they will trade.
>
> Those who oppose baker Jack Phillips will ignore completely other property owners, such as those who own cash and are looking to trade it for cakes. They don't want government commanding cash owners with whom they must trade. Only cake ingredient owners.
>
> Those who support baker Jack Phillips, on the other hand, will emphasize either the Free Speech Clause or Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment, or both.
>
> They will concede, either explicitly or implicitly, that government has the rightful authority to command one class of property owners (including cake ingredient owners) with whom they will trade. But they will insist on some kind of exemption from the commanding power of government for select people with select religious beliefs.

> [...]

Links:
------
[1] http://www.lpcolorado.org/