[Lnc-business] Comments regarding draft minutes

James Lark james.lark at lp.org
Sun Dec 31 15:00:11 EST 2017

Dear colleagues:

     I hope all is well with you.  Thanks to Mr. Hagan for his message
regarding the draft minutes; I greatly appreciate his taking the time
and trouble to dig through my long list of comments and suggestions.

     I do not recall a discussion during the meeting of changing the
bequests receivable number from $66,800 to $67,800.  In reviewing my
recording and notes, it is possible I was out of the room when Mr.
Sarwark made a comment regarding the amount.  (As they say in Hollywood,
"Timing is everything.")  Specifically, roughly 25 minutes after the
beginning of the 2018 budget discussion, Mr. Sarwark indicated that the
$66,800 bequests receivable figure may be too low.  There was a very
brief discussion among Mr. Hagan, Mr. Sarwark, and Mr. Kraus, from which
the $67,800 figure emerged.

     Thus, allow me to propose a modification of the draft minutes. On
p. 11, the text under the heading Adoption of 2018 Budget currently
reads as follows:

Mr. Hagan had distributed a proposed budget in advance, gave an oral
overview, and fielded questions.  He noted the previously discussed
increase on the ballot access line (Program Expense line
“70-BallotAccess Voter Reg & Related Exp”) from $202,000 to $250,000.

Ms. Daugherty was requested to speak on fundraising efforts and costs.
As previously agreed, each LNC member took turns to briefly comment,
request information, express concerns, and/or state intent to offer
amendment(s).

     I suggest the draft minutes be amended so that the text reads as
follows:

Adoption of 2018 Budget

Mr. Hagan had distributed a proposed budget in advance, gave an oral
overview, and fielded questions.  He noted the previously discussed
increase on the ballot access line (Program Expense line
“70-BallotAccess Voter Reg & Related Exp”) from $202,000 to $250,000.

Ms. Daugherty was requested to speak on fundraising efforts and costs.
Mr. Sarwark suggested that the Bequests Receivable number of $66,800 in
the draft budget may be too low.  After a brief discussion, the number
was changed to $67,800.

As previously agreed, each LNC member took turns to comment briefly,
request information, express concerns, and/or state intent to offer
amendment(s).

Please note that in the third paragraph, I have changed the phrase "...
to briefly comment ..." to the phrase "... to comment briefly ...."  (I
prefer that we not split infinitives.)

     As always, thanks for your work for liberty.  As always, thanks for
considering my comments and suggestions.  Best wishes to you for a great
2018.

     Take care,
     Jim

     James W. Lark, III
     Dept. of Systems and Information Engineering
     Applied Mathematics Program, Dept. of Engineering and Society
     Affiliated Faculty, Dept. of Statistics
     University of Virginia

     Advisor, The Liberty Coalition
     University of Virginia

     Region 5 Representative, Libertarian National Committee
-----

On 12/31/2017 12:42 PM, Tim Hagan wrote:
> Concerning your comments on the budget table on page 15, Draft 5 of
> the spreadsheet had a former number for the Bequests Receivable. The
> FEC raised the contribution limit to $33,900 per individual, so we can
> withdraw $67,800 from the bequests. (See
> https://transition.fec.gov/pages/brochures/contriblimitschart.htm for
> contribution limits.) I believe the Bequests Receivable got corrected
> toward the beginning of the budget discussion, before the budget was
> moved.
>
> ---
> Tim Hagan
> Treasurer, Libertarian National Committee
>
> On 2017-12-30 19:51, James Lark wrote:
>> Dear colleagues:
>>
>>     I hope all is well with you.  I have enclosed several comments
>> regarding the draft minutes of the December LNC meeting.  I hope you
>> find these comments to be helpful.  A goodly number of the comments
>> involve substantive issues (e.g., corrections); many of the comments
>> involve suggested wording.
<SNIP>