[Lnc-business] LNC 2017 Strategic Plans

Patrick McKnight patrick.joseph.mcknight at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 15:52:56 EST 2017

Fellow Committee Members,

I think we have an excellent Committee this year but we've lost our focus a
bit after the Election. As frustration with the political status quo
continues to increase so does our opportunity to grow the LP. I would like
to see us working on ways to use this climate of discontent to take the
message of liberty mainstream.

I ask my colleagues to consider the following two paths forward:

*1)* *We should establish some goals about what we want to achieve in
2017.* *Then
we should draft a plan of how to achieve them.*

Its purpose is to:

o    Communicate to members our key areas of focus for 2017

o    Provide a baseline against with to measure progress against our plans

o    Use the SMART (Specific, Measureable, Attainable, Realistic, Time
Specific) model for defining goals

In this plan, we should focus on a few important things we need to achieve,
and avoid things that fall squarely within the area of responsibility of
any committees of staff members.

For example:

-Grow LP voter registration 50% in 2017

-Grow LP membership 50% in 2017

-Complete LP.org upgrades

-Increase outreach events targeting young people by 50%

It seems to me matters like these are our primary responsibility.

I would personally like to see us work on marketing and adopt a new slogan
that is more inclusive and descriptive. However I don't look forward to
more exhaustive ideological debates so I'm not going to push it at this
time.

*2)* I'm still not sure I understand the utility of passing symbolic
resolutions. I'm not sure that's our job. But if it is let's at least
address the most relevant and timely issues.

Instead of focusing on Cuba* I would prefer to see us focused on providing
the intellectual leadership against Trump's authoritarian agenda and other
US-related issues.* I presume the "Nation" referenced  in the "Libertarian
National Committee" is America. Importantly we should not just focus on
Trump but cite the bi-partisan history of all these issues.

 I don't really have a preference where we start but there are a plethora of
opportunities available:

1. Trump's proposed increase in the "Defense" Budget - Bring the Troops
Home NOW

2. Trump's xenophobic rhetoric and immigration policies

3. Crony capitalism in cabinet

4. Trump's use of executive orders to circumvent congress

5. The continuation of the surveillance state - Restore the Bill of Rights
NOW

6. Audit the Fed

7. Sessions' anti-marijuana agenda/criminal justice reform

8. School Choice

9. Entitlement reform

10. The national debt

What are your thoughts?