[Lnc-business] April LNC Meeting location

David Demarest dpdemarest at centurylink.net
Sat Jan 7 11:18:55 EST 2017

I have absolutely no concerns about Nick's and Robert's abilities to make a
wise decision (or recommendation) on the meeting location. I also understand
the need for a reasonably prompt location decision so we can get on with
travel and lodging arrangements. However, in addition to Starchild's
legitimate transparency concerns on proposal specifics, this top-down
approach makes a mockery of asking LNC members where they would like to hold
meetings. It suggests that meeting location criteria are driven primarily by
LNC staff preferences and travel costs paid from the LNC budget rather than
LNC member preferences and self-funded travel expenses. Further, I strongly
suspect that some LNC member location suggestions were expediently ignored
because no 2020/22 convention cost and suitability information had been
gathered for those locations.

I would add that the essence of Libertarianism is to empower our leaders to
lead by example rather than the expediency of exercising authority. That is
not Nick's fault. We LNC members are to blame if we cave in to the
temptation to default our responsibilities to Nick when not appropriate and
put Nick in a lose-lose dilemma. Nick handles it well but it is unfair to
both Nick and the full complement of LNC members. I would agree that the
meeting location is not a high-priority issue. Nevertheless, it presents an
excellent opportunity to set an example by empowering LNC members to select
meeting locations. Or we can call this discussion nitpicking and continue
our top-down failings that fly in the face of our criticisms of the broken
two-party system.

I offer the following motion:

"Hold a simple LNC email write-in approval vote to narrow down our personal
meeting location preferences followed by a second simple approval vote on
the top 3 to 5 choices considering the astute finance and logistics
recommendations by Robert and Nick."

Robert and Nick, thank you for your location research diligence, wise
recommendations and ability to shoulder our defaulted responsibilities. The
above motion could be simplified to one approval email vote if sufficient
location cost and site suitability details and recommendations were
available. Any interest in co-sponsoring this motion? If so, who would like
to wordsmith this motion into the proper language? Or, do we want to move on
to more critical LNC issues and address the meeting location selection
method at a more convenient time?

Thoughts?

~David Pratt Demarest
Region 6 LNC Representative