[Lnc-business] cosponsors requested to have staff manage social media

Joshua Katz planning4liberty at gmail.com
Sun May 28 23:53:47 EDT 2017

I agree entirely that personnel matters should not be discussed in open
session, and I don't see any reason not to include volunteers in that
opinion.  I have been very uncomfortable with several things we've done in
open session on these matters.  I hasten to add, though, that I also think
we should be dealing with fewer personnel matters, period, because we
should delegate more.  When it comes to a matter like this one, the board
is particularly unsuited, because boards are not built to be nimble.
However, we do have a board within our board which is far more nimble, and
I'd encourage the EC to take this up (only because, of course, we haven't
built better structures to handle it).

However, we've really hemmed ourselves in on that.  Our position is similar
to the position of a town I used to be involved with, under its sunshine
law.  (As an aside, I think the Missouri sunshine law does a great job on
this particular issue.  It can be found at:
https://www.ago.mo.gov/docs/default-source/publications/missourisunshinelaw.pdf?sfvrsn=20
.  Note particularly p. 11.  Also note that the motion to go into a closed
session, which under the law is essentially an executive session with
certain items disclosed later, must be held by roll call, and that all
votes in closed session must be held by roll call.  Thus, when a matter is
concluded and the law requires that the minutes be released, they say more
than those of an open session, which are required only to indicate vote
totals.)  Anyway, this town could hold executive sessions to discuss
personnel matters, but not to take action.  I was peripherally involved in
a situation where it was discovered that a certain employee (he ran his own
department and so had no direct supervisor) had not been doing his job for,
at least, 5 years.  After a lengthy executive session, they returned to
open session, and moved to fire X for not having done his job for the past
5 years.  (Because of the nature of his job, the motion had to include
something to this effect - state law made him fireable only for severe
cause.)  It didn't seem to me that the executive session had served much of
a purpose.

That said, I seek cosponsors for the following amendment to the policy
manual:

In 1.02.5:  insert ",other than on personnel matters," after "No action"

On Mr. Hayes' point:  I find it unfathomable that, this long after our last
meeting, we have not given the committee charged with examining our entire
social media apparatus and making recommendations, access to the entire
social media apparatus.  I'm less upset by the rest of the LNC in this
regard, since I wasn't particularly enthusiastic about that part of our
decision, but I also call for that commitment to be carried out.

Finally, let me end this on a sad note.  I know Libertarians.  If I didn't,
though, and this email discussion were my introduction to the party, I can
tell you, as much as I love liberty, I would conclude that I would not vote
for a Libertarian for public office.  This is a sad conclusion for me,
because (myself perhaps excluded) I know that our board is a group of
intelligent, capable, reasonable, goal-oriented people, who share, at a
suitable level of generality, common goals and passions.  Yet the way we
communicate with each other - and that's a large package, including the
structures we use, the form of our discussions, and what gets said and how
it gets said - often looks, to me, less than ideal.  I wonder what
percentage of this board could pass an Ideological Turing Test applied to
our colleagues.  I wonder if I could.  I often suspect I couldn't, because
many things that get said seem inexplicable to me, and I doubt I am alone
in that.  I think we can govern better than this, and I think we can do
better than this.

I have often said that the biggest problem in our society, the problem that
creates an ever-growing government, is an inability to disagree without
putting people into boxes or simply ignoring them.  I came to that opinion
after a few people were arrested in NYC for "man-spreading," a problem
created entirely because a) no one will walk up to a person on a train and
say "would you please move your leg, I'd like to sit there", and b) they
won't do that because too many people should scream back "how dare you!  I
have rights you know!"  So we create social vacuums and ask government to
fill them.  Let's model the alternative.

While we're modeling that alternative, what are we going to do about a pile
of false claims directed against one of our directors?  Can we, at least,
get it the L off our page?

Joshua A. Katz