[Lnc-business] Seeking Co-Sponsors for Motion regarding internal debate rules for 2018 NatCon

Caryn Ann Harlos caryn.ann.harlos at lp.org
Sun Jun 3 01:47:17 EDT 2018

==I believe our conventions should be for business. I do not think they
should combine business with a knock-off of Mark kousen's thing, because,
inevitably, it drives up costs, requiring us to then focus on the things
that bring in money - i.e. not business.  I think we should stop
denigrating the purposes for which we have conventions with the now
ubiquitous (and irritating) phrase "moving commas.==

A man after my own heart.  I heard Platform Committee time got knocked off
a half an hour.  It is because we prioritize other things and not the
actual business.

This is not a criticism of anyone on the CC - they are doing fantastic and
following our traditions.  It is a criticism of our traditions.  We are
required to put on a business convention, not anything else, and when
regional caucuses etc are scrambling asking for more time, I think we have
ran far afield - again, this is a culture critique, not a person one.

==I am sick and tired of debates featuring no interaction or
   engagement between candidates.==

So much THAT.

Also, perhaps I have forgotten or missed it - but are there debates or time
for presentations for the other positions?  If not, why? Doesn't our Policy
Manual require that in spirit?  Isn't that the argument we had over the
Great T-Shirt Scandal?  That all LNC candidates be given equal
opportunities? (though the policy manual says "for the same office" that
isn't how the other situation was handled)