[Lnc-business] Request for co-sponsors - Motion for independent vote audit

Caryn Ann Harlos caryn.ann.harlos at lp.org
Wed Jul 11 19:03:45 EDT 2018

As one of the co-sponsors, these would be my answers:

1. Who is going to do the independent audit

The motion says two independent persons selected by the Chair, so the
answer is in the motion itself.

2. How will they meet and/or acquire the raw ballots to audit

I don't think mailing or copying or scanning is a technical hurdle and that
could be determined by the auditors.

3. What is the time line to finish the project

That is left open but it seems implied that the Chair would set a
deadline.  It seems like a several week deadline is reasonable.

4. What is the cost for the independent audit and who is going to pay for
it.

This isn't a J. Edgar Hoover investigation - the implication was Party
volunteers not involved in the race.  Such as regional representatives or
alternatives.  If not volunteers, it seems the cost would be a minimal
hourly rate that would be somewhat trivial and should be considered part of
the cost of conducting the election - so out of the convention budget.

5. Is this going to limited to just the At Large election or will it
include the Judicial Committee.

The motion says At-Large, so the answer is in the motion itself.

Now I would like to turn this question around to those who have  not
co-sponsored.  Why are you not requesting such a thing in a rushed and
unusual race with a one-vote margin in one race and a less than twenty vote
margin in multiple ones?  Would we ever accept in any other institution an
audit by directly involved parties?

Now to John's question, of course they would.  I am not even suggesting
anything different if the audit shows a serious mistake because I have no
idea what the protocol is if that happened as it is outside my ken and an
issue for the Chair.

I would hope this leads to some sort of Policy Manual addition about
automatic independent audits when vote counts are within a certain narrow
margin.  It is good practice.  Even if we had an electronic voting system
but most certainly in our current system which everyone admits is prone to
errors.

-Caryn Ann

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 4:13 PM, john.phillips--- via Lnc-business <
lnc-business at hq.lp.org> wrote:

>    Plus my comments about current people serving while we wait on results
>    so we do not get stuck in a loop.
>    John Phillips
>    Libertarian National Committee Region 6 Representative
>    Cell [1]217-412-5973

Libertarian Party and Libertarian National Committee Secretary - Caryn.Ann.
Harlos at LP.org <Caryn.Ann.Harlos at LP.org> or Secretary at LP.org.
Chair, LP Historical Preservation Committee - LPedia at LP.org

-------------- next part --------------
> [...]

     >    confirm for our membership.
     >    Now on to what may be too late.  I submit that an audit is only
     good
     > IF
     >    the currently understood members, of whichever vote gets
     audited,
     >    continue to serve pending results.  Otherwise our body can not
     > continue
     >    to function until the audit is complete.  Indeed if we do not
     take
     > that
     >    route we might theoretically be able to even complete the audit
     or
     >    anything for 2 years.  That outcome is unacceptable and clearly
     NOT
     >    what the delegates intended.
     >    John Phillips
     >    Libertarian National Committee Region 6 Representative

     Ann

        2. mailto:[39]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
        3. mailto:[40]john.phillips at lp.org
        4. tel:317-850-0726
        5. tel:2018-07-11 11
        6. [41]http://john.ph/
        7. tel:217-412-5973
        8. [42]http://john.ph/
        9. mailto:][43]john.phillips at lp.org
       10. tel:217-412-5973
       11. mailto: [44]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       12. mailto: [45]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       13. [46]http://Caryn.An/
       17. mailto:][47]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       18. [48]http://Caryn.An/
       22. mailto::[49]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       25. mailto:][50]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       26. mailto: [51]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       27. [52]http://Caryn.An/
       31. mailto:][53]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       32. [54]http://Caryn.An/
       36. mailto::[55]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       39. mailto::[56]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       40. mailto: [57]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       41. [58]http://Caryn.An/
       45. mailto:][59]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       46. [60]http://Caryn.An/
       50. mailto::[61]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       53. [62]http://john.ph/
       54. mailto::[63]john.phillips at lp.org
       55. tel:217-412-5973
       56. mailto: [64]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       57. mailto: [65]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       58. [66]http://Caryn.An/
       62. mailto:][67]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       63. [68]http://Caryn.An/
       67. mailto::[69]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       70. mailto:][70]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       71. mailto: [71]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       72. [72]http://Caryn.An/
       76. mailto:][73]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       77. [74]http://Caryn.An/
       81. mailto::[75]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       84. mailto::[76]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       85. mailto: [77]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       86. [78]http://Caryn.An/
       90. mailto:][79]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       91. [80]http://Caryn.An/
       95. mailto::[81]lnc-business at hq.lp.org
       96. mailto::Caryn.Ann.Harlos at LP.org

   In Liberty,
   Caryn Ann Harlos
   Libertarian Party and Libertarian National Committee Secretary
   - [82]Caryn.Ann. Harlos at LP.org or Secretary at LP.org.