[Lnc-business] my audit of LNC At-Large election

Alicia Mattson alicia.mattson at lp.org
Thu Jul 12 03:17:28 EDT 2018

The At-Large tallies were made under the immense time pressures of the tail
end of the convention, and as in past years, it is not surprising for a
post-convention audit to find errors that were not caught onsite. For your
reading pleasure, you can review the appendices of the minutes of the
previous two conventions for my analyses of those  human errors, which take
place even though people are acting in good faith.

None of the errors revealed by my audit of this year's At-Large race change
the outcome. The top 5 people on July 3 remain the top 5 post-audit.

The largest single discrepancy was that the Colorado delegation tally sheet
under-reported Joe Buchman by 5 votes.  His relative ranking did not
change, though.

Attached is an Excel workbook with three sheets (or tabs):

   - The first contains the state-by-state breakdown that represents the
   tallies exactly as released onsite on July 3.  You'll notice that some
   cells are color-coded, and that's an indicator for you to find the related
   note at the bottom of that first tab to answer a potential question about
   that number. Each color has its own section of notes, with a header that
   explains the color grouping.  White, green and yellow cells include values
   that did not change in the audited results.  The pink cells did change in
   the audited results for the reasons noted.

   - The second tab contains the audited results, updated to factor in the
   issues in the pink cells.

   - The third tab contains a comparison of the candidate rankings reported
   onsite on July 3 with the rankings for the audited results. The variances
   are minor and do not change the top 5 finishers.

Also attached are the delegation tally sheets for comparison with the
details in the spreadsheet.  There are 50 sheets, rather than 51.  Not
present is the Wyoming sheet.  I don't know why that blank page didn't make
it back into my collection, but Wyoming did not vote in any of the
elections, and you can see from the attached spreadsheet that at the time
of this vote they had 0 delegates credentialed.

The Mattson/Scheetz/Hayes cluster of candidates seems to be attracting the
most interest, and the colored cells for that cluster of candidates involve
the CA and TX ballots.  These are the two largest delegations, and they had
the largest tallying task, which just gives more opportunities for human
error.  Immediately after sending this message, I'll follow up with another
email which has the individual ballots from CA and TX attached for your
tallying pleasure.  The size of the scanned files warrants two separate
emails, else I'd include them here.  I scanned in full color at 300 dpi so
you can see them in all their glory.

-Alicia