[Lnc-business] Email Ballot 2018-12: INDEPENDENT AUDIT OF AT-LARGE VOTE RESULTS

Elizabeth Van Horn elizabeth.vanhorn at lp.org
Thu Jul 12 11:09:37 EDT 2018

I vote no.

-----

Reasons:

1)  I might have been inclined to vote yes, until I looked at the
screenshots of the state tally sheets for At-Large.  Some things struck
me as potential problems, and if they could be problems in the At-Large
votes, it could potentially be a problem on all the LNC votes. Joe
Bishop-Henchman was a delegation chair and signed off on the tally sheet
for his delegation.  Joe Buchman was a delegation chair, and signed off
on his delegation tally sheet. And so on.  Do I think either of these
men did anything wrong?  No, but the possibly exists.  Now, if I
extrapolate that possibility to all the delegations, there's potential
for plenty of problems, and not just in the At-Large race.  Mr. Harlos
was a delegation chair, and his wife was a candidate. Dan Reale was a
delegation chair and was a candidate. Drew Layda also was a delegation
chair, and was a candidate. There may be more that I missed.  ALL of
these *could* be potential problems.
---------------
2) The discussion of tallies, ballots, and votes has prompted a
discussion in the Region 3 group.  A person who was a candidate for the
Region Alternate spot asked if anyone had the ballots from the region's
voting, as he was interested in seeing them.  One state still has
theirs, two states indicated they'd disposed of the ballots, but think
they did everything correct.  (We know that the rate of error was fairly
consistent with other ballots, so I suspect there're probably some
errors in the Region 3 ballots and tallies too.) The fourth state in
Region 3 hasn't responded to the question.  Region 3 had three good
candidates from 3 different states vying for the Alternate spots.  I'm
fairly positive that the winner was Dustin Nanna who's on this email
list, and I don't think anyone is calling that result into question.
But, someone who was an alternate did ask about seeing the ballots and
he won't be able to, and that is problematic.  As we have no way to
verify or audit the Region 3 votes.  I'm thinking other regions are
similar, in that they too couldn't do a proper audit now if asked.
-------------
3 )  I'd probably vote for an audit that included ALL the LNC and the
Judicial Committee races.  (Taking into consideration that the Regions
are probably ill-equipped to do so)  As why should some leadership races
be given more focus and prominence than others?  This seems to be a
trend, in that the regional votes were done in a haphazard manner. Yet
this body has spent considerable time focused on other races. Region 3
did it's voting in a hallway, and we were given one hour to assemble all
the delegates, do a role-call of sorts, which wasn't ideal. Acoustics
not good and delegates couldn't hear the candidates, it was hot, and
other people milling around, getting mixed-up with Region 3 people.
Having our own room/space would've been preferable. (Hopefully, for
2020, regions can be given more consideration. This is LP business, and
we shouldn't be shunted into halls and given short-shrift.)
-----------
4)   If the reason for doing an audit is principals, then there needs to
be an audit of *all* the LP LNC races, including Chair, Vice-Chair,
Secretary, and Treasurer, At-Large, and all the Regions too. Along with
the Judicial Committee. (Which I now see the JC has it's own motion) I'd
like to see ALL the races and candidates given the same consideration.
On the LNC a Region Rep has one vote, the same as an At-Large or an
Officer.  Yet, there seems to be an undue level of importance placed on
some candidates/races over others. For the sake of principals, I'd like
to see more equity in treatment. I see no valid reason why the At-Large
race is more likely to be error-prone than any of the races. If we want
to be principled about the results, we do an audit of all the races.

---
Elizabeth Van Horn
LNC Region 3 (IN, MI, OH, KY)
Secretary Libertarian Party of Madison Co, Indiana
Chair-LP Social Media Process Review Committee
Chair Libertarian Pragmatist Caucus
http://www.lpcaucus.org/