[Lnc-business] Seeking Co-Sponsors for Resolution to Re-Affirm The LP's Stance For Property Rights

Caryn Ann Harlos caryn.ann.harlos at lp.org
Tue Aug 14 16:18:42 EDT 2018

If you find any of the whereas clauses to go beyond what we hold I would be
interested in hearing it.  The positions of the Party also are not a frozen
in 2018 snapshot but the breadth of our history.

-Caryn Ann

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 1:49 PM, Alex Merced (LNC Vice Chair) via
Lnc-business <lnc-business at hq.lp.org> wrote:

> While I have not decided how I feel in this motion here are my initial
> thoughts.
>
> 1. I personally support the values as articulated in this motion.
> Although, as a vote that represent the party as a whole I plan on being
> careful as possible but how this is read and will not cast a vote till I
> have had time to get feedback from as many members as possible to have
> heard all views.
>
> 2. One thing we’ve all noticed at any National Conventions is that members
> and delegates to National are not only very passionate about what they
> believe but even the tiniest aspects about how those beliefs are put forth.
> So while this by and large captures a view of the platform that is
> consistent in spirit it is using wording not sanctioned by delegation. This
> is why my suggestions prior included citing the exact wording from the SOP
> cause it’s clear and unquestionably representative of the Parties
> Membership who strongly voted to “shut the back door” at convention. The
> tiniest deviations in wording can really allow delegates to feel like the
> intense deliberation at convention is being subverted by the LNC putting
> forward statements that change how they collectively agreed to put them.
> Does that mean this motion should fail, I’m not sure, but something that
> should be weighed in crafting motions that put forward a positive value
> statement.
>
> 3. In summary, we either believe delegates care very much about the
> delicacies of language or they don’t. If the former, I think it is
> appropriate to draft a statement where most of it cites the platform to
> avoid the impression we are putting the words in the mouth of delegates. I
> understand the motion in spirit is near indistinguishable but I figured it
> is worth bringing up.
>
> 4. I am also fully aware that those this motion has been crafted to push
> against have not always been as careful or precise in respect for the
> platform and delegations as I articulate above. This to me does not matter,
> I have higher expectations of us as these individuals have not been elected
> by membership and if anything resoundingly pushed against by the results at
> convention.
>
> Again, this is meant as my initial thoughts, my door is an open door to
> anyone who wants to give me additional feedback to contemplate to which I
> will respectfully listen to.
>
> Alex Merced
> Vice Chair of the Libertarian National Committee/LP
>
> > On Aug 14, 2018, at 3:12 PM, Caryn Ann Harlos via Lnc-business <
> lnc-business at hq.lp.org> wrote:
> >
> > <mime-attachment.txt>

Libertarian Party and Libertarian National Committee Secretary - Caryn.Ann.
Harlos at LP.org <Caryn.Ann.Harlos at LP.org> or Secretary at LP.org.
Chair, LP Historical Preservation Committee - LPedia at LP.org

A haiku to the Statement of Principles:
*We defend your rights*
*And oppose the use of force*
*Taxation is theft*