[Lnc-business] Seeking Feedback: Membership Support Committee

Elizabeth Van Horn elizabeth.vanhorn at lp.org
Sun Aug 26 19:23:58 EDT 2018

There are plenty of LNC members who aren't on multiple committees.
(You're listed on five committees under subcommittees on the LP website,
so perhaps you'd not want to join any more.)

We also have LNC members who aren't on *any* subcommittees.  I think
limiting the number of LNC members on a subcommittee, just because
historically, some LNC members sought and obtained appointment to
multiple committees, is an unfair handling of how we populate
subcommittees.

I'd vote for four LNC members on this committee as originally proposed,
and I'd like to see the number of non-LNC members expanded to five.

---
Elizabeth Van Horn
LNC Region 3 (IN, MI, OH, KY)
Secretary Libertarian Party of Madison Co, Indiana
Vice-Chair Libertarian Pragmatist Caucus
http://www.lpcaucus.org/

On 2018-08-26 18:38, Caryn Ann Harlos wrote:

> [...]
>
> 2. The committees get less effective as we are stretched thin.
>
> -Caryn Ann
>
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 2:18 PM Elizabeth Van Horn <elizabeth.vanhorn at lp.org> wrote:
>
>> I have no problem designating a number of LNC members to be on a
>> Membership Support Committee, and think it would be helpful for LNC
>> Region Reps to be on such a committee, as we get a lot of direct
>> feedback from our state affiliates.  The type of feedback we get often
>> speaks directly to membership issues.
>>
>> Friday I spend time listening to members who're candidates in my Region,
>> as some are very frustrated with the LP launched CRM project.  I got
>> feedback from multiple members, sent emails, and even spoke to Nicholas
>> Sarwark on the phone, as he was responsive enough to call me concerning
>> this issue. (Tentatively, an issue was resolved.)  I plan to do some
>> follow-up to see if further issues can be resolved, as there are
>> multiple LP candidates who're not happy with LP national's release
>> product-options for CRM. I'm not on the Candidate Support Committee, but
>> spent time doing candidate support, as it's *member* support. (I realize
>> the Candidate Support Committee isn't described as direct support.)
>>
>> Since various members contact their LNC Region Reps for member related
>> issues, I'd like to be on the Membership Support Committee, and would
>> like to have the committee composition comprised of four LNC members.
>>
>> In addition, I'd expand the non-LNC members and add two more than
>> proposed, making the non-LNC members five.  Small committees sometimes
>> have several people unable to make a meeting, even when online, and when
>> there's only seven people, and two are missing, it's hard to come to a
>> meaningful agreement, as so few are represented.  Also, since we do have
>> such an abundance of LP members wishing to help, expanding the non-LNC
>> members number would help our members, as there'd be a larger pool of
>> people would to assist.
>>
>> For the reasons mentioned above, I'd like to see the Membership Support
>> Committee have nine people, four LNC members, and five non-LNC members.
>>
>> ---
>> Elizabeth Van Horn
>>
>> On 2018-08-26 13:59, Caryn Ann Harlos via Lnc-business wrote:
>>> Much much better.  I have a question though - why so many LNC members?
>>> We are stretched thin and there are many many members who want to
>>> help.  I would like to see committees - particularly ones with
>>> absolutely no budget - to be member ran with the composition of that
>>> committee approved by the LNC not just the LNC chair (if we reduced
>>> the
>>> LNC membership of the committee - if kept as it is right now, only
>>> approval by the Chair is necessary).
>>> The Historical Committee - which actually HAS a budget has NO
>>> required
>>> LNC members.  Why are we not moving towards that model?
>>> tldr; I am likely to vote against if the number of LNC members is
>>> reduced.  We can always volunteer to be appointed.  I would like to

   [1]http://www.lpcaucus.org/