[Lnc-business] Medical marijuana in Ohio & 2nd Amendment rights

Elizabeth Van Horn elizabeth.vanhorn at lp.org
Wed Jan 10 16:27:04 EST 2018

Hello All,

Last week I received an email from one of my Ohio constituents.   He
wanted to alert people to the legal situation in Ohio which he, and
others, are being subjected.  His email is below:

"Hi Elizabeth,

I feel everyone should be aware of how the republicans are making  guns
illegal to be owned by law abiding citizens in Ohio. The new medical
marijuana law in Ohio makes it illegal to own a gun if you get a medical
marijuana card. I'm not clear on how they intend to enforce this.
Whether they confiscate guns and throw the person in prison or what.
Governor John Kacich is someone to be watchful of to say the least.  I
have glaucoma, and the eye drops that I have pay about $250 a month for
don't always work. Kacich is making it so you must give up your
constitutional rights as an American citizen or he will make you go
blind. He can keep the big drug companies from losing their monopoly, in
this way.

Best regards,

(Name withheld by request)"

I did some reading on the Ohio laws regarding medical marijuana and gun
ownership.  Unfortunately, Ohio residents aren't left with good options
if they wish to avail themselves of medical marijuana and also exercise
their 2nd Amendment rights.  Here's an article by the Dayton Daily News
that explains the situation:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/how-will-ohio-know-gun-owners-don-use-medical-pot-the-honor-system/l3cJ2kYisnc0xKc2ZjMNZM/

This is an example of why the Libertarian party matters.  We, and all
the liberty minded people in the US, must continue to fight for people
to have personal autonomy and the rights of self-ownership.  We're not
free people, if we're not free to decide what we do with our own bodies,
and this includes what we ingest, inhale, or inject.  These basic rights
of self-ownership shouldn't be used to infringe upon enumerated
Constitutional rights.

--
Elizabeth Van Horn
LNC Region 3 (IN, MI, OH, KY)