[Lnc-business] Responsible Leadership / Re: Arvin Vohra / Re: Suspend Arvin / Re: Arvin Vohra

Starchild starchild at lp.org
Fri Jan 12 18:55:36 EST 2018

Tim, Harold, George, and Michelle,

	Thank you for writing to members of the Libertarian National Committee to share your concerns. Since all four of you have written to us in the same day on the same topic, I hope you don't mind that I am replying to your messages together in one email.

	While I have not seen the posting(s?) which prompted you to write, I appreciate your seeking to hold elected leaders of the Libertarian Party accountable. This kind of engagement by LP members is what will keep us a grassroots, bottom-up party. I also commend you Harold, for tempering your remarks with a strong commitment to free speech and expression by individuals when not speaking on behalf of the party.

	I sometimes get the impression however that members like yourselves think everyone on the LNC sees everything that goes out over social media in the name of the LP. I don't believe this is true in anyone's case, and certainly not in mine – I am not on Facebook or our Advertising & Publications Review Committee, and only occasionally see forwarded memes.

	While you are of course welcome to voice your concerns as you have done, it would have been more helpful if you'd included the following:

• Why you think the post(s) you're writing about were irresponsible, unreasonable, lacking judgment, or fitting the other terms you've used to describe them
• How these posts in your opinion were contrary to libertarian principles or at odds with our Platform (if that is the case)
• Any specific harm resulting to the party that you can point to from the post or posts in question (was there something specific that came up in the Ohio LP in relation to this matter? I notice that all four of you are apparently with the LPO)

	Without this information, it is difficult to make a fair evaluation of your objections. It's also helpful to hear what kind of messaging on the topic(s) in question would be appropriate in your views, and why – i.e. examples of strong libertarian messaging that communicates the Non-Aggression Principle and distinguishes our radical pro-freedom message from the status quo politics of the cartel parties, without needlessly triggering or offending people.

	To be frank, I doubt I would support a motion to remove Arvin as vice-chair over this manner – I think he is solidly libertarian and generally playing a positive role in the party's leadership despite his occasional inflammatory postings. However I might be open to some lesser measure such as censure depending on the specifics of the case, especially if it is presented in a manner that will not undermine or inhibit our ability to put forward a strongly libertarian message to the public.

	Thank you again for taking the time to communicate with us, and for your efforts on behalf of the Libertarian Party and freedom.

Love & Liberty,

                                    ((( starchild )))
At-Large Representative, Libertarian National Committee
                         RealReform at earthlink.net
                                 (415) 625-FREE