[Lnc-business] Business E-mail Compromise Scam Warning

Elizabeth Van Horn elizabeth.vanhorn at lp.org
Sun Feb 11 18:51:56 EST 2018

Thank Tim,

Yes, the affiliate is in my region, and I've been exchanging emails with
them today regarding this incident. As the LPCaucus was also sent a
similar email in Oct 2017.

Although, I was the person who got that email sent to my caucus, and
knew it was a scam. I too replied to string them along a bit. Today, I
shared the original headers and info from the email I received, with the
state affiliate, in case they're related incidents. As both had a
similar MO.  In the email I got, it was an impostor email, made to look
like it came from the chair's account. I know how to see that, and also
knew our chair wouldn't randomly request a money transfer, so was
immediately alerted to the scam. But, the wording was similar, also the
amount requested to be transferred.

Unfortunately, the affiliate did lose some funds. They've had meetings
today, and are doing some investigating.

---
Elizabeth Van Horn
LNC Region 3 (IN, MI, OH, KY)
Secretary Libertarian Party of Madison Co, Indiana
Chair-LP Social Media Process Review Committee
Vice-Chair Libertarian Pragmatist Caucus
http://www.lpcaucus.org/