[Lnc-business] Caryn Ann Harlos fundraising and membership recruitment

Elizabeth Van Horn elizabeth.vanhorn at lp.org
Fri Feb 23 16:21:34 EST 2018

Wes, here's my feedback, and I don't mind saying that I was shocked to
read that an LNC member is being reimbursed to attend state conventions
within their own region.

Dear LNC,

      Caryn Ann Harlos has recruited a lot of dues-paying members by
      attending state conventions and getting people to join or renew.

      At first, she did this at state conventions she was attending in
her
      region at her own expense.

>>> I've no problem with this. LNC representatives often attend state
>>> conventions within their own region, and if she works to boost
>>> national membership while there, that's cool.<<<

      Her results were so strong that I asked her if she would be willing
      to go to some other states outside of her region to do similar
      fundraising efforts if her travel expenses were reimbursed.

>> < This is something that should have been told to the LNC, and even
>> discussed.  Why are we only finding this out, after someone inquired?
>>  Where's the transparency?<<<

      We have been struggling to keep membership from falling. We send
      renewal emails and renewal letters that perform reasonably well but
      pretty much exhaust that method. Other methods we try have very low
      ROI. Caryn Ann's ROI has been comparatively strong.

      Caryn Ann attended the Washington State convention last weekend and
      recruited 18 to 20 dues-paying members for the national LP.

      That trip is one in which we have reimbursed her for her travel.

>>>  I have a problem with this.   Many LNC Regional Representatives will
>>> attend state conventions within their region.  If any of them do
>>> membership recruiting for national while there, that's something they
>>> choose to do.  Are you suggesting that Caryn Ann wouldn't have tried
>>> to boost membership at a state convention within her region, if she
>>> wasn't reimbursed?  Because, I doubt that.  This was something she
>>> was doing as she chose to do, while attending conventions within her
>>> own region. This isn't something that an LNC member should be
>>> reimbursed for. <<<

      I'd like to send Caryn Ann to more state conventions to have her do
      this work. No one else has done this as successfully as Caryn Ann.
      Caryn Ann is a volunteer so we don't pay her for her time.

>>> Wes, you don't know what others have done regarding recruiting, as
>>> most people do it as a normal part of being in the LP.  I, nor most
>>> others, keep a log of the people we've gotten to join the LP, as I
>>> see it as a given this is done.<<<

>>> Wes, do you know why my own state affiliate has let national
>>> membership drop?  Because, they're unhappy with the national LP.  At
>>> my last state convention, our officers said that they want people to
>>> keep state memberships current, but national doesn't do anything for
>>> them, so they don't care much about that.  I had to mention that our
>>> delegate count is tied to national membership, and since then, I
>>> followed -up on that, but our numbers still have dropped. I've been
>>> thinking of a way to reverse that, but if LPIN is successful in
>>> reversing that trend, it's because our volunteers are passionate
>>> about the LP and liberty actions.  Not because anyone  is being
>>> reimbursed for the expenses of travel and time.  (My state isn't the
>>> only one that feels this way, btw)<<<

      For conventions that Caryn Ann is unable to take the time to
attend,
      I will be sending our staff member Jess Mears. The thing with Jess
      is that we pay her for her hours to travel, attend, and return from
      state conventions. She's unlikely to get as high of a ROI.

>>>  I personally wouldn't send anyone to state conventions to boost
>>> national membership, if the national LP is paying for it.  Instead,
>>> we should work to create a better LP that's responsive to it's
>>> members and the public, and we grow through people seeking to join
>>> us.  Organic growth.<<<

      I received a complaint today that it is inappropriate for someone
      running for a position on the LNC to have travel reimbursed.

      I sympathize with the complaint, but do not think it's a violation
      of our policies.

>>> It's a matter of principal. Byreimbursing Caryn Ann Harlos for
>>> traveling to state conventions within her own region, the LP is
>>> subsidizing her efforts as a regional representative. This is
>>> inappropriate.<<<

      Nevertheless, I bring this up to the LNC for your feedback. If you
      request a stop to sending Caryn Ann Harlos or any other LNC member
      to state conventions for the purpose of recruiting dues-paying
      members, we can end the program.

>>> Yes, I'm requesting a stop to reimbursing LNC members for travel to
>>> state conventions within their own region.  I also am requesting that
>>> Caryn Ann repay the LP for the reimbursement costs of any state
>>> conventions she attended within her region.

As for "sending her" to other state conventions, this should be
discussed by the LNC.<<<

      A reasonable question might be, "I'm willing to go to state
      convention at the expense of the LNC and recruit members--why don't
      you send me?" The answer is that Caryn Ann proved her willingness
      and capability within her own region. No other LNC members have
      mailed us several envelopes of dues-paying members from their
      states. Caryn Ann and Jess Mears together are not able to attend
      every state convention. If you are interested in helping, and
      willing to prove your ability first at a state in your region or at
      another state at your own expense, let me know and we might be able
      to try that. And then we can report the results.

>>>  Wes, I know a woman who renewed her membership due to a FB post that
>>> Andy Craig made. (She publicly wrote that he's the reason she
>>> renewed)   I'd wager that Andy is responsible for quite a number of
>>> people renewing or joining the LP.  As Andy's an excellent advocate
>>> for the cause that is the LP.  If you want to find someone who's out
>>> there building up hope in the LP, and getting people on board, he's
>>> the one.  You probably don't know this stuff, as Andy doesn't seek to
>>> be recognized for his efforts, he probably sees it as normal for
>>> people who support the LP.

Nor, do I know of others within the LP who keep track of how many people
they've recruited.  So, your statement asking people to "prove your
ability", is moot.<<<

(truncated)

---
Elizabeth Van Horn