[Lnc-business] Comments regarding draft minutes of July 3 meeting

Alicia Mattson alicia.mattson at lp.org
Mon Aug 6 05:15:25 EDT 2018

I'm circling back to the discussion of including extensive commentary in
the LNC minutes.

<CAH>  On this we disagree and I will leave it to the LNC to decide.  These
are located in an appendix not in the minutes and just like we agreed that
Ms. Mattson's notes on her views of RONR could be included in an appendix
of convention minutes (which actually is editorial content) there should be
no issue with summaries of things said in an appendix of meeting minutes.
</CAH>

I disagree with your characterization of Appendix C to the 2016 convention
minutes as being my "notes on my views of RONR".  For anyone who wants to
take a look, those minutes can be found here:
https://www.lp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/2016-Convention-Minutes-approved.pdf

Appendix C consists of verbatim quotations from RONR, which is part of our
adopted rules.  It is the equivalent of your footnote 14, "See Bylaws
Article 9.6."  There is no editorial content.  Regarding my draft you
expressed that my use of the single word "however" was too much editorial
content, so I removed that word.  At your request, I added the note at the
top of that appendix, though the appendix itself contains no editorializing
remarks by me, just verbatim quotes from our rules, and the only opinion
that involved is that I think those particular rules are relevant to the
situation.

It's quite a stretch to say that appendix of verbatim quotes from our rules
is the equivalent of including the extensive personal commentaries that are
in the 7/3/18 draft minutes we're discussing.  If the word "however" was
too much editorializing in the minutes I authored, I don't understand the
consistency of the argument for now including the material we're talking
about here.

<CAH> It is important that members feel they have a voice...</CAH>

This is a strawman argument.  I am not saying that members should not be
able to speak during the public comment portions of our agenda.  I am just
saying that those comments don't belong in the record of formal actions
taken by the LNC as a whole.

Sure, there have been some other secretaries in the past that included much
more material than my minutes did, and I also recall times when that
material became a point of contention for various reasons.  Many members
have told me that they appreciated that the minutes I authored did not do
that.

You indicated that you would leave it to the LNC to decide, and await the
LNC's pleasure on the matter.  I'll go ahead and object to the
auto-approval of the 7/3/18 minutes so that discussion can happen in our
Phoenix meeting.  It doesn't need a separate agenda item, as it can be
covered during the Secretary's report.

-Alicia