[Lnc-business] [Lnc-votes] Policy Manual Amendment 2.09.4

Caryn Ann Harlos caryn.ann.harlos at lp.org
Sun Dec 2 05:59:49 EST 2018

For everyone's reference the Bylaws language referred to by Tim and
Starchild (and I will put this in the notebook):

3. The Chair shall preside at all Conventions and all meetings of the
National Committee. The Chair is the chief executive officer of the Party
with full authority to direct its business and affairs, including hiring
and discharging of National Committee volunteers and paid personnel,
subject to express National Committee policies and directives issued in the
exercise of the National Committee's plenary control and management of
Party affairs, properties and funds.

On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 10:57 PM Starchild <starchild at lp.org> wrote:

>         My reading of Bylaws Article 6, Section 3 is that the final clause
> ("subject to the National Committee policies and directives") gives the LNC
> the authority to establish a directive or policy (e.g. this proposed search
> committee) whereby persons hired by the Chair must have been previously
> approved by the LNC.
>
>         I like Justin's original proposal not to limit the committee to
> strictly LNC members. Members of the LNC are selected by party members
> voting in convention as delegates, and the executive director has at least
> as much power as any single LNC member except the chair, so it's reasonable
> for LP members not on the LNC to have some voice in that selection.
>
>         Getting more Libertarians a say in running the party, and making
> it more bottom-up with less concentration of power at the top is a good
> thing. I encourage my regional reps and other LNC members to vote
> accordingly.
>
> Love & Liberty,
>
> ((( starchild )))
> Outreach Director, Libertarian Party of San Francisco
> (415) 625-FREE
>

> On Dec 1, 2018, at 6:44 PM, lnc-votes at hq.lp.org wrote:
>
> > I’m concerned that this motion may violate the Bylaws Article 6, Section
> 3. The motion has the LNC appointing and discharging the Executive
> Director. The Bylaws gives the Chair the authority to hire and discharge
> volunteers and paid personnel, subject to the National Committee policies
> and directives.
> >
> > Tim Hagan
> >
> >> On Dec 1, 2018, at 3:18 PM, Justin O'Donnell via Lnc-business <
> lnc-business at hq.lp.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Based on the brief discussion that did surround my previous submission
> of this proposal, There were some things I agreed could be improved with
> the original proposal, that I've changed and included in this motion as I
> would recommend in lieu of the earlier proposal. The difference is a
> reduction in the number of members of the search committee to 6 members
> including the Party Chair.
> >>
> >> The Markup is included in the PDF Document I attached, and the final
> text is below.
> >>
> >> Hiring and Termination, Section 2.09.4
> >>
> >> In the event of a vacancy in the office of Executive director, the
> Chair shall establish and appoint an Executive Search Committee consisting
> of 6 members, including The LNC Chair, The Employment Policy and
> Compensation Committee Chair, and 3 additional LNC Members. The Executive
> Search Committee shall be responsible for establishing the criteria for
> hiring, developing a thorough and complete description of the position,
> soliciting applications, screening applicants, and making a recommendation
> to the LNC for the appointment and employment of a New Executive Director.
> The Party Chair shall serve as the Chair of the Executive Search Committee.
> >>
> >> The LNC shall appoint and employ the Executive Director by a two thirds
> [...]

*  In Liberty,*

*Libertarian Party and Libertarian National Committee Secretary *- Caryn.Ann.
Harlos at LP.org <Caryn.Ann.Harlos at LP.org> or Secretary at LP.org.
*Chair, LP Historical Preservation Committee* - LPedia at LP.org
Call me at 561.523.2250 and follow my public figure page at
facebook.com/pinkflameofliberty/

Peaceful Commerce With All Nations * Non-interventionism * Re-Legalize All
Drugs * End Government Intrusion In The Bedroom * Repeal All Gun Laws *
Abolish All Taxation * Sound, Free-market Money * Abolish The Fed * End
Corporate & Individual Welfare * Abolish The IRS and Repeal the Income Tax
* Privatize Transportation Infrastructure * Free-market Emergency Services
* Open Migration * Transfer Government Schools To The Private Sector *
Eliminate Regulation *

*VOTE LIBERTARIAN * 800-ELECT-US or http://www.LP.org <http://www.lp.org/>*