[Lnc-business] Concerns with convention theme bidding process

Ken Moellman lpky at mu-net.org
Mon Mar 13 00:43:27 EDT 2017

Hello.

I have been fielding concerns on the convention theme straw poll from two
different standpoints.

1. Pro-choice versus pro-life Libertarians.  The use of the phrase
"pro-choice" in a political arena (or really, any arena anymore)
specifically infers the abortion issue.  This "pro-choice on everything"
potential theme has resulted in an increase in the division between the two
factions and I suspect that it will only get worse in the next round of
voting.

2. Povertarian/others vs. Pay-to-Play.  There are a lot of comments about
the convention theme "being sold to the highest bidder".  I've seen
complaints specifically from Michigan, Ohio, and Kentucky members. I don't
watch Indiana as closely as Mr. Bittner has a handle on that.

In my role as Region 3 Alternate, I wanted to make the full LNC aware that
I am seeing problems in Region 3 as a result of this path of action.

As for my personal opinion; it's my personal hope that a theme is chosen
that is inclusive, positive, and outward-focused.