[Lnc-business] 2020 Convention comment Re: Jul Membership Report

Caryn Ann Harlos carynannharlos at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 17:46:51 EDT 2017

So let's start getting contentious!

-Caryn Ann

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 3:45 PM Wes Benedict <wes.benedict at lp.org> wrote:

> Sam, regarding how to cover the cost of a convention without a floor fee,
> here's what I think we did for 2010 St. Louis.
>
> We kept our A/V costs low, like around $20,000 if I remember correctly. We
> kept our meal prices relatively low.
>
> Also, in my sales pitches, I focused on explaining how the costs of the
> conventions are covered.
>
> I didn't call people free loaders or insult them for not wanting to pay
> for a package (at least not within earshot of anyone besides maybe Robert).
>
> Instead, I explained to them that the only reason we were able to let get
> the convention hall space for free was if enough people purchased packages
> and rented rooms at the hotel.
>
> My mindset was to thank them for purchasing packages, rather than shame
> them for not.
>
> See the actual emails here:
>

> https://www.lp.org/blogs-staff-lp-monday-message-2010-st-louis-convention-website-live/
>

> https://www.lp.org/blogs-staff-please-reserve-hotel-by-may-6-for-2010-st-louis-convention/
>
> The 2010 Convention was quite successful financially and attendance-wise.
>
> Personally, I'd recommend spending more on A/V than we did in St. Louis.
> In any case, low cost options in boring places like St. Louis can work out
> well and have very high attendance (especially if there's a few very active
> contentious candidates for leadership positions).
>

> Wes Benedict, Executive Director
> Libertarian National Committee, Inc.
> 1444 Duke St., Alexandria, VA 22314
> (202) 333-0008 ext. 232, wes.benedict at lp.orgfacebook.com/libertarians @LPNational
> Join the Libertarian Party at: http://lp.org/membership
>
> On 8/11/2017 5:29 PM, Sam Goldstein wrote:
>
> Wes,
>
> Alicia Mattson probably has much of the statistical information you asked
> about as to F&B minimums
> and how we have met them over the years.  You are correct that our single
> biggest expense for NOLA
> will be AV and it really drives the price of tickets for those attending.
>
> However, another major factor driving up ticket prices is that around
> 25-30% of delegates pay nothing to attend the business meetings
> while still enjoying a chair under their butts, the ability to see and
> hear speakers through the AV system
> and a clean, dry and air conditioned environment.  I would like to hear
> your ideas on how to mitigate this situation without having to
> institute a "floor fee".
>
> Live Free,
>

> Sam Goldstein
> Libertarian National Committee
> Member at Large
> 8925 N Meridian St, Ste 101
> Indianapolis IN 46260
> 317-850-0726 Phone
> 317-582-1773 Fax
>
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 5:07 PM, Wes Benedict <wes.benedict at lp.org> wrote:
>
>> Sam, that's great to hear. I didn't know how much information on those
>> topics had already been collected.

> [...]
Region 1 Representative, Libertarian National Committee (Alaska, Arizona,
Colorado, Hawaii, Kansas, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Washington) - Caryn.Ann.
Harlos at LP.org <Caryn.Ann.Harlos at LP.org>
Communications Director, Libertarian Party of Colorado
<http://www.lpcolorado.org>
Chair, LP Historical Preservation Committee

A haiku to the Statement of Principles:
*We defend your rights*
*And oppose the use of force*
*Taxation is theft*