[Lnc-business] Email Ballot 2017-19 : Yemen Resolution

Starchild sfdreamer at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 1 21:03:32 EDT 2017

	I imagine many delegates voted for that bylaws change because they didn't want unlibertarian resolutions being passed by the LNC and hoped that requiring supermajority support would prevent this from happening. I imagine they also hoped putting in a delay between when a motion is proposed and when it is adopted would allow time for any unlibertarian language to be spotted and removed or the motion scuttled.

	The LNC itself acted for similar reasons in creating the Advertising & Publications Review Committee to ensure that staff doesn't put out unlibertarian stuff in the name of the party. I don't believe it was our intention to limit the number of press releases or articles they produce whose contents do represent what our party stands for. Likewise I see no reason to assume delegates meant to limit the number of motions passed by the LNC that are clearly in synch with libertarianism.

	Besides spreading more libertarian views in the world by using the virtual soapbox we're standing on by virtue of being the Libertarian National Committee, resolutions also serve another useful purpose. Not saying we have this problem now, but if anyone were to be elected or appointed to the LNC who did not really share the ideas contained in our party's Statement of Principles we would want to know about it, and voting on resolutions provides a good opportunity to see where LNC members stand on various issues. If an LNC member didn't want to uphold the Non-Aggression Principle on various issues, they might not appreciate this transparency, and an obvious way for them to seek to avoid it would be to discourage the LNC from voting on resolutions about the issues of the day at all.

Love & Liberty,

                                  ((( starchild )))
At-Large Representative, Libertarian National Committee
                         RealReform at earthlink.net
                                 (415) 625-FREE
                                  @StarchildSF