[Lnc-business] Fwd: LNC meeting item

Elizabeth Van Horn elizabeth.vanhorn at lp.org
Tue Apr 17 06:17:00 EDT 2018

This is interesting, and I like Keith Laube's idea.

This past weekend I was a volunteer driver for the LPIN Secretary of
State candidate, and we attended several county conventions.  One of the
topics our SoS candidate discussed is how LPIN achieves ballot access,
as it's through getting at least 2% of the total vote with our SoS
candidate in the election. (LPIN has achieved this since 1994)  But, if
we break through, and get 10% of the total vote with our SoS candidate,
we can move into a category where we'd be able to have registered
voters.  Also, straight-party-LP voters could be tracked, etc.  We could
get a list of all the thousands of people in the state who vote
Libertarian Party.  (At this time, we don't have that ability.)

Having those numbers, the sheer volume of voters who *do* vote for
Libertarian Party candidates, is compelling. That is data we could use.
As Keith Laube also mentions, where we can obtain that information, it's
data that would help our public perception, as people are inclined to
join with a positive growing movement. The 2016 election cycle was a
boon to the LP, as we moved into an unprecedented number bracket.
People, potential voters, view those numbers positively.

I support Caryn Ann's suggestion for this agenda item.

---
Elizabeth Van Horn