[Lnc-business] Email Ballot 2018-17 - SET EMAIL BALLOT ENDING TIME

Joe Bishop-Henchman joe.bishop-henchman at lp.org
Sun Jul 22 19:18:50 EDT 2018

   Thank you to those who are voting yes on this proposal. To those who
   aren't yet, I hope I can convince you to do so.
   As Bylaws chair, on two occasions we had a series of votes, where one
   vote had to conclude before proceeding to another vote or activity. I
   diligently stayed up very, very late to close one vote and start the
   next one, making me very tired for work next day. I will stay up late
   for Party or work when I have to, but this proposal will reduce the
   times when we unnecessarily *have* to.
   As a mere Party member, on several occasions I was curious how the LNC
   would end up on a close vote. That meant staying up very late or
   waiting to find out the next day. I honestly found it odd that
   important decisions were concluded in the middle of the night, which
   sent a signal to me about priorities and transparency. On one occasion
   I spoke to and messaged various LNC members in an effort to change
   votes, and bugging people nearing midnight was not my favorite
   activity. Getting lobbied near midnight will not be my favorite
   activity either, which is why I propose changing it.
   I've been on two other boards using RONR plus email voting. One used 24
   hour votes, with an end time of 5pm the next day. (We were all in the
   same time zone, which made it easier.) On the other we ended ballots at
   12 noon ET after three days.
   Mr. Goldstein urged votes to be concluded faster, as seven days is more
   the floor than the ceiling. With one member generally not voting and
   one seat vacant, it's been impossible to close votes before the full
   time elapsed. There's also obviously an advantage to voting last, and
   I'd note this proposal doesn't change that - everyone has time after
   COB to cast votes. (If anything it helps ensure anyone can change their
   vote before going to bed if they want, or act if other people change
   their votes.) For those that like voting at night when they have time
   to review proposals, this proposal doesnt change that; there will
   remain six such overnight opportunities to do so. It does mean our
   votes can be announced when people are awake, both those on the LNC and
   those watching.
   I'd also note I opted for 6pm PT / 9pm ET in this proposal as I thought
   that was a fair end date for people (like me) who aren't able to
   conduct LNC business during working hours, while still making sure
   we're not making important decisions in the middle of the night.
   I thank you for your consideration and if you'd like to talk off list
   about this proposal, I'm happy to do so.
   JBH
   On Jul 22, 2018 5:54 PM, Caryn Ann Harlos via Lnc-business